The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finger Picks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starshine
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Finger Picks Reply with quote

Hello! This is my first post here. I'm glad that this site exists. Smile

Anyway, I have just bought my first Guzheng! I'm waiting for it to get here in the mail. I have never played it and am so excited!

I had a question about the finger picks. I saw a video somewhere explaining that in order to use the picks, you must tape them to your fingers.

Is this true? If so, what kind of tape should be used?

Also I have seen videos of players with picks only on one hand and other videos with players using picks on both hands. Is there a reason for this?

THANK YOU!
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you can use any medical tape to tape on the picks.

Some people like to wear both hands, and some only wear on the right hand. Some people like to have the tone contrast on the two hands, and some like to have unison tone. It will be hard to play certain very difficult songs without left hand picks. However, most songs can be played with only right hand picks.
Cikayelle
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quoted from my book. I'm not sure if I can do that, but I found it helpful. I figure it's knowledge shared (:

Quote:
"For beginners, I recommend wearing picks only on your right hand. As you advance, you will eventually wear picks on both hands to play contemporary Gu Zheng compositions because it requires fast speed and a loud volume on the left hand. However; when playing certain pieces such as traditional music, it would be better not to wear left hand picks so that it can produce a warmer and deeper sound. It is also more convenient for the player to bend the strings without picks on."
Starshine
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your answers!

I should be getting my guzheng tomorrow and I will be prepared!
Webbedfingers
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Finger Picks Reply with quote

Starshine wrote:
Hello! This is my first post here. I'm glad that this site exists. Smile

Anyway, I have just bought my first Guzheng! I'm waiting for it to get here in the mail. I have never played it and am so excited!

I had a question about the finger picks. I saw a video somewhere explaining that in order to use the picks, you must tape them to your fingers.

Is this true? If so, what kind of tape should be used?

Also I have seen videos of players with picks only on one hand and other videos with players using picks on both hands. Is there a reason for this?

THANK YOU!

Hey - welcome Smile

I hope your Gu Zheng gives you as much pleasure as mine did! Carol sent it ages ago, but I've only just unboxed it last week properly due to travelling around too much.

I mislaid my tape and ended up using sellotape (it's better than no picks, but still lol).

Sometimes I use picks on my left hand just for practising agility and accuracy only - and it really shows me how unused to left hand movemenets I am. Whereas I can play the piano, the left hand was mostly used for chordal combinations as an accompaniment, rather than running away with it like the right hand in melodies.

I've only seen contemporary pieces played with two handed picks, and it must take some skill to be able to bend notes with the left hand wearing picks at the same time.

Enjoy your Gu Zheng Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: