The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K note (K yin)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlui
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: K note (K yin) Reply with quote

can someone please tell me how is this played!???

thanks in advance for the help!
chineseharp
Rosewood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the K note?
jlui
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno - in my book - it is referred to as a "k yin" - it is used in the version of xiang fei yuan in a book that i am using by sha lin ching.

it is unfortunately explained in chinese...which i don't read very well...so hoping someone here is familiar with it...
chineseharp
Rosewood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Sorry...
seana
Old Rosewood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The author singed this K on top of a note which means use either your left or right hands' ring or small finger to press and holding the string near its bridge (better no too closed or too far from the bridge) then play to obtain a clear, neat and a light liked drum sound.
It's better to use your left hand's middle and index fingers together because these two fingers are usually with more strength. I don't mean that you have to press the string very hard but will let you have a better feeling and manipulate sound levels.
It's inappropiated and inconvient to press by right hand with your left hand cross-over to your right to play. On the other hand, it won't bring out nice sound if play too far to the right or too closed to the bridge. Test your string to get the best location or distance for it.

Seana
jlui
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you seana!!!! i was hoping to hear from you soon!!!!

so do the pressing with the left fingers and play with right...i will try this when i get home. this is is little like - fan yin - if i remember right - where one puts their left pinky or ring finger about 1/2 down the string and then play the note - except this is done closer to the bridge. right?

thank you again so much for the help - appreciate it very much.
seana
Old Rosewood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two locations of fan yin on one string; but are little tricky and need to practice to find them. Normally a fan yin is at the middle (1/2)
between the front hill and the bridge. Placing your one left finger lightly
on the string, release your left finger at the same time after your right finger (say thomb)finished the note. The K here is that you pressed and holding the string then release after you finished playing the note.
Again, test both then you know their differences.

Seana
jlui
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi seana! thanks for the clarification! your help has been greatly appreciated!

if the notes to be played are octaves or the little ones like 63 - the K is performed on both notes or just on the higher of the two notes? - like when i do vibrato - i usually do on the higher of the 2 notes. yes?
seana
Old Rosewood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, If you are thinking to pluck of that way, it's then easier to do the 63 simultaneously if both notes with a K on top and written in vertical way because there is only one A note in between them; but it wont be easy to do the octave. As you know that the lower the strings the thicker and those bridges displaced on front board are farther to the left. You pluck the string if only with a K on it.

Seana
seanagm@yahoo.com
jlui
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the K sits on the right hand line above notes for left - and 63 is vertically written ...not kidding - is not easy...although i tried on a single note as you wrote - very pretty sound - when i found right spot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: