The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

using left picks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdobbs
Plywood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: using left picks Reply with quote

i try to use my left hand picks and i can just need to know when they are used should i use them all the time? with chords and arpeggios which i just started playing and im having trouble with the left hand in arpeggios, should i use picks or no?? Question Wink thank you very much
annk
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher suggested practicing with left-hand picks a lot, because it's easier to take them off for a piece than to have to get used to a piece you already know with the picks on, after having learned it without.

Whether or not you use left-hand picks for a particular piece in a performance would I suppose depend on the style of the piece (music from some areas and time periods would use them, others not) and your own preference. I think that by using picks on both hands, it's easier to play with an even sound if there's lots of left-hand plucking in the piece. But if all you're doing with the left hand in a particular piece is bending, you wouldn't have to have picks on for that (except that for practice, it's useful to play those sorts of pieces with picks now and then IMO, just to get used to bending with picks on).

And sometimes the plucking you do with the left hand is minimal, or mostly for accompagnement purposes. In those cases, a pick-less left hand would sound fine I think.

Don't know if this makes sense...And I bet there are lots of differing opinions on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: