The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mongolian yatga
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: mongolian yatga Reply with quote

oooo!~ look what i found! its a guzheng but is played like a yatga!!! this lady doesnt wear picks and plays sooo fast and clear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgFNl0qAjyo&feature=related
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't she awesome???????!!!!!!!! She rules!
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a yatga on the newspaper that looks just like a kayagum. It was a part of a Mongolian band.

Last year, when I was at Tianyi's factory, I saw some custom-made yatga ordered by a Yatga professor in the inner Mongolia. Those look just like regular guzheng with different tail design.

Still trying to figure out how does a real yatga looks like.
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh! i wanna see a real yatga too!haha i think the yatga zheng can be played like a guzheng right?haha ive seen some that looks like a kayagum too!
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a real yatga on youtube! That looks and sounds just like what I would imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5uvRhi7tAs
applevinegar
Rosewood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.
I enjoyed that so much that I favorited it. Razz
applevinegar
Rosewood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found another fabulous piece by Munkh-Erdene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-JEV_D-RNw
Aw common you gotta admit, that's so cool. Very Happy
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is simply awesome awesome awesome!!! I LOVE her!!! *I am unworthy unworthy I say!!!*

Also I have to add this, notice the instruments are not super expensive grade or anything, they seem to be just regular run of the mill factory pushed out instruments, but I ALWAYS will stand up and represent -- it is the ARTIST herself who makes the instrument sing, NO MATTER HOW 'crapppppy' an instrument is, YOU HAVE to become the master of your expression and style, if you expect an EXPENSIVE instrument to just sound like CRYSTALS for you, you may as well throw the instrument in the trashcan or send it to me, and go mine yourself some 1000 year old crystals. An amazing artist can make any instrument sound so amazing, truly truly !!! I can't stress that enough. My 'crappy' instrument never sounded better, it continues to make me melt like butter and honey in a crystal bowl. HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

Okay okay- i have to be fair, my sister is glaring at me because she has super expensive taste hah and I am the ugly duckling who just LOVES an instrument no matter how crappy it is. It is 'preference' she scolds me hah! It is 'I guess' *pout* if you have expensive taste and you feel better about playing an instrument that is really expensive VS on any hohum instrument then that is your human right!

I was in an antique shop with my sister some weekend long time ago, all of a sudden she GASPS, I nearly fell over with a heart attack.. She pointed out a green box, instantly we knew it was a zheng case, upon closer view, she GASPED and I GASPED, but both for different reasons! She followed the GASP with vomiting noises and I gasped followed with ooooh ahhhhh sounds!! She scolded into the air "WHY would anyone sell this piece of JUNK?!" I dared her, oh I DARED her to play it, if I tuned this piece of junk up I wanted her to play something on it for the people! After nearly 25 minutes of twisting her arms, she gave in and made me happy!

There was total stillness and silence in the whole warehouse, people slowly gathered around us and held their breaths..................

BAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! They got a sale that day after weeks of slow business! My sister nearly fainted. I was so proud of her, i was yes i was.

What have we learned today? The moral of our story is...

She falls asleep happily with one of her 3500 dollar zhengs next to her and I fall asleep wrapped in the loving arms of my husband's priceless embrace..

*WINK*

Thank you for sharing this video!

-Vi An.
applevinegar
Rosewood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol thanks for the story.. it was err, entertaining. Laughing
But I think the instrument gives possibility, and skill makes only what is possible happen. What I mean is-- both the instrument and skill are equally important, I think . . . Or am I wrong? Embarassed

Glad you enjoyed the link.
(So I'm not the only Mongolian music lover around here eh?)

Here's another by Munkh-Erdene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz6BM1mZ9CQ

fabulous Shocked
gjlearner
Plywood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

applevinegar wrote:

Wow, something to aspire to. This as far as I can tell, is the same song as the top video, but a lot better quality and no piano to distract.
applevinegar
Rosewood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vi_An wrote:

Also I have to add this, notice the instruments are not super expensive grade or anything, they seem to be just regular run of the mill factory pushed out instruments, but I ALWAYS will stand up and represent -- it is the ARTIST herself who makes the instrument sing, NO MATTER HOW 'crapppppy' an instrument is, YOU HAVE to become the master of your expression and style, if you expect an EXPENSIVE instrument to just sound like CRYSTALS for you, you may as well throw the instrument in the trashcan or send it to me, and go mine yourself some 1000 year old crystals.

I think you have a lot of merit in what you said, but I believe that the instrument actually somewhat "trains"/changes the musician also. When I improvise, before I can do anything "good," I need to be in a "soothed-state." And I usually cannot achieve this until I hear a soothing sound from a soothing instrument. So I feel it's very important to have a sort of holistic "communication" between the instrument, the environment around me, and myself. For me it is important to have a "quality" instrument. (At least, an instrument that fits my specific needs, be it cheap or expensive, I like to forget about price and just listen.)
Interestingly,
there are some improvising musician's in Cameroon who believe their musical powers are not from themselves but from the "Spirit of the forest."
Other people might call this a type of "Qi."
According to Chinese theory, "Emotions are movements of Qi."
Interestingly, music seems very directly associated with emotions . . . I'm starting to see a connection, perhaps music is strongly associated with Qi? If so, perhaps we could cultivate "musical Qi" with QiGong or TaiChi?
Just a wild guess. Laughing
applevinegar
Rosewood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjlearner wrote:
applevinegar wrote:

Wow, something to aspire to. This as far as I can tell, is the same song as the top video, but a lot better quality and no piano to distract.

I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out! Shocked

Last edited by applevinegar on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
applevinegar
Rosewood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this video, I can't understand what they're saying in Mongolian, but in the beginning of the clip, (at 0:54) there seems to be a more original Mongolian style yatga. (the kind with the bent end)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h--5f7xWXcA&feature=relmfu
(at 0:54)

I wonder how the bent end effects the sound and/or the playing style, if it does at all.
I also wonder why those kinds of zithers aren't being made much these days. . .
citera
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

applevinegar wrote:
Found this video, I can't understand what they're saying in Mongolian, but in the beginning of the clip, (at 0:54) there seems to be a more original Mongolian style yatga. (the kind with the bent end)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h--5f7xWXcA&feature=relmfu
(at 0:54)

I wonder how the bent end effects the sound and/or the playing style, if it does at all.
I also wonder why those kinds of zithers aren't being made much these days. . .

See this: https://prezi.com/wpzkgn3j69of/kayagum-and-yatga/

There are three sort of yatga:
- original Mongolian, what is extinct and later revived. 10-21strings
- Korean type, the Mongolian didn't know that there are few piece of ancient yatga in European museums, so they copied the Korean kayagum . I have a piece of this type with 13 trings.
- Chinese type. This is a guzheng retuned to la-pentathonic scale: A-c-d-e-g-a, where A strings are coloured.

Last edited by citera on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
citera
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c4/5b/61/c45b61eef9a4a1ac77281a090090b8ee.jpg

This is the original mongolian

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71668449@N00/252759456

This kind I have
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Video All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: