The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guzheng Tuning Video & Instruction on Seiko SAT500 tuner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Guzheng Tuning Video & Instruction on Seiko SAT500 tuner Reply with quote

Hi all:

I posted guzheng tuning procedure on youtube. Hope this will be helpful for you when you set up a new guzheng.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LDeek_-0GM

Yukina

Instruction on how to use a Seiko SAT500 tuner:

Personally, I think Seiko SAT500 is the most economical tuner that functions properly and accurately. It also has octave indicator so there is no worry to tune into a wrong octave range. Some cheaper tuners don't have reaction on the bass strings of a guzheng. Some are just not accurate with the needle indicator going back and forth that drives people crazy. I highly recommend this tuner. Therefore, I wrote this instruction on how to use the Seiko.

When you turn on the tuner, the screen should show key of "C" on the top right corner, frequency of "440"hz on the bottom right corner, and mode "AUTO" on the bottom center toward the left side. If everything is as indicated, then you don't need to touch any buttons. If not, please select key to "C", frequency to "440" and mode to "AUTO". So, basically the power button is all you ever need to touch on the tuner if you are tuning a guzheng.

This is how it looks like after you press the power buttton. The frequency "440" flashes for a couple seconds and goes off.

Then you are ready to use the tuner.

First pluck a string you want to tune. For example, if you want to tune the 11th string, which is a "D". Pluck it and see what the tuner reads on the bottom left corner. If it's in tune, it should say "D4". If it says anything else, you need to tighten or loosen the string to "D4". e.g. if it says B3, C4 or C#4.....then tighten the string more; if it says D#4 or E4 or F4..., then loosen the string.

After you make sure the string is in the "D4" range, then you check to see what the needle indicator says. If the needle is to the right, then loosen the string, if the needle is to the left, then tighten the string. Adjust the tension of the string until the needle is right at the center and the green light in the center top is on.

So, basically, you need to match the pitch first by reading the pitch sign at the bottom left corner, and then check if it's in the center of the pitch by reading the needle in the middle part of the tuner.

Guzheng in D-major on Seiko SAT500

String# Guzheng Notation Pitch
21 1 do D2
20 2 re E2
19 3 mi F#2
18 5 sol A2
17 6 la B2
16 1 do D3
15 2 re E3
14 3 mi F#3
13 5 sol A3
12 6 la B3
11 1 do D4
10 2 re E4
9 3 mi F#4
8 5 sol A4
7 6 la B4
6 1 do D5
5 2 re E5
4 3 mi F#5
3 5 sol A5
2 6 la B5
1 1 do D6

Last edited by yukina on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
mkuo
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Guzheng Tuning Video Reply with quote

yukina wrote:
Hi all:

I posted guzheng tuning procedure on youtube. Hope this will be helpful for you when you set up a new guzheng.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LDeek_-0GM

Yukina

thank you for the vid...^______^

you are very skilled...it usually takes me 10 min to tune my guzheng

is this Tianyi redwood concert guzheng?
helenajunjieluo
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: instruction on tunning Reply with quote

thanks a billion for posting the tuning video. it relieves some of our anxiety. As we have no experience at all, we'd appreciate if you can post some explanation or instruction on tunning here. like why you'd pick up the string while tuning, then move your left hand to the head of the Guzheng? do you pick up the string first, or your two hands are doing at the same time? why you push each string on both side of the bridge at the smae time, what are you looking for? which the sat500, I see there are three lights, which light should it stay.
Maybe a lot of guzheng player know this basics, but for us, no clue.

thanks!
Dustin
Plywood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it is funny because I was thinking on Sunday "I wish someone would make a video on how to put the bridges on and tune up the guzheng" and like magic, you put this video up!

Thank you so much! This is going to help out quite a bit latter this week when I get my Scarlet Bird.
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: instruction on tunning Reply with quote

helenajunjieluo wrote:
thanks a billion for posting the tuning video. it relieves some of our anxiety. As we have no experience at all, we'd appreciate if you can post some explanation or instruction on tunning here. like why you'd pick up the string while tuning, then move your left hand to the head of the Guzheng? do you pick up the string first, or your two hands are doing at the same time? why you push each string on both side of the bridge at the smae time, what are you looking for? which the sat500, I see there are three lights, which light should it stay.
Maybe a lot of guzheng player know this basics, but for us, no clue.

thanks!

My first step is always tighten the strings. Most guzhengs come with strings loose. Scarlet Bird and Dunhuang are the only two I know tighten their strings before ship out.

I pick up the strings to check whether they are tightened enough. I tighten the strings til I barely can raise it. Sometimes those tuning knobs are really tight and hard to turn, so I put move my left hand to the head of the guzheng to help out. Well, I guess that means my hands are weak. Wink

I think tighten the strings first is a very important step. You can put on the bridges on first, but the bridges move around when the strings are loose. It's a lot hard to tune the guzheng this way.

Also I've seen people tuning the instrument a whole octave lower. When they put on the bridges without tighten the strings, the keys are generally more than a whole octave lower. Then they tune the strings to the nearest "desired pitch" without knowing it needs to be an octave higher.
When the strings are tightened, then you put the bridges under, they are in the range of desired pitches already. It's a lot easier to tune this way.
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiiiiiiiiii Carol!!!!! I am so excited I cant wait till I get the bone powder calligraphy guzheng!I think that the video was helpful too..... I allways put the #1 bridge on first.I did not know you were so good at tuning wow.!!!You are so fast!!!!!!
Dustin
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video did help! I received my Scarlet Bird yesterday and after getting everything unpacked (which was a great packing job, by the way) it only took me maybe 30 minutes to get the bridges on and it tuned up (I did not really time it, so it could have been a little more or less). I do not know why I was so scared to do this, it was really easy! Thanks again!
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi welcome Dustin!
Dustin
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarrelle wrote:
Hi welcome Dustin!

Thank you! I am happy to be here!
Tangmu
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Carol, that's very helpful. The tip about tightening the strings first is new to me; I'll try that next time I have to set mine up.

The video reminds me a bit of people who can solve Rubik's cube very quickly Very Happy You've done that a couple thousand times, haven't you?
kard
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi yukina Smile
I'm new and about to purchase one of your instruments. Do they all come with that tuning tool (the wrench)?
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kard:

Yes, guzheng always comes with a tuning wrench.

Yukina
kard
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it today Smile I spent a bunch of time tuning it. I'm gonna be using fairly frequently. Should I loosen the strings after I'm done or something like that?
I also won't get to order BeiBei's book until the 21'st. are there any resources online where I can learn some songs?
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, don't loose the strings. It's too much trouble to tune after loosing the strings.

I don't know. I guess you can find some scores online. There are many places that you can download scores.
erisedstraeh
Plywood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher taught me never to tighten the strings (especially the thin ones with the high notes) with the bridges on as the tension sometimes can snap the strings easily Sad

So I usually tune the high notes by just moving the bridges or removing the bridges and tightening the string before putting them back ^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Instrument All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: