The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

playing Guzheng through an amplifier
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reajr
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: playing Guzheng through an amplifier Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knew the best place to put a microphone by the Guzheng when playing onstage to amplify the sound.

is it better to place the microphone under the guzheng by one of the sound holes or over the the strings?

thank you for any information.....

reajr
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont use a microphone when I play.I dont like them it doesnt work well for me.I have seen people use a microphone near the srings thuogh.I have better control without a microphone I think.
Royce
Rosewood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: playing Guzheng through an amplifier Reply with quote

The guzheng artists I've personally encountered here in concerts have used two microphones: one above the guzheng and one below. If there's only one microphone, then it's best to put it below the instrument (on a boom) near the sound hole in front of the player. Sometimes amplification is necessary, as recently at an outdoor concert in a park. There wa a bit of competition from chirping birds, airplanes, etc. And the stage was a bit separated from the audience with a pond and jumping fish. Still, the effect was beautiful in the middle of natural surroundings. Of course, the natural sound is always the best!
reajr
Plywood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: thank you Jarrelle / Royce Reply with quote

I was recently at a performance and never thought to look where the mike was. Too busy paying attention mostly to all the talented guzheng players...

i toyed with a few things in the house last night and tried both under and above and seemed to get the better tone from above around the middle of the bridges. But now i tried with both above & below like Royce spoke of and wow... outstanding.
in the house though no amp is needed, that beautiful guzheng fills the house with sound but i'm able to record from the amp to a little 4 track and the tone is amazing. clean of course. the chorus is ok (once is enough...) i always like to record practice if at all possible.

good evening to everyone,
reajr
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I undestand now.I havent played outdoor performance yet.I am sorry if I misled you for your proformance.I think I need to have an outdoor profromance.
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please take at look at the barcus berry pickup systems for harp and piano at their website. Google it. I currently use that as well as another pick up system by AKG. Together they provide amazing sound quality marriage with the sound program Logic Studio is simply superb. Mics are great if you have the space. Usually with live outdoors (pickups) are the best. As you can see in most of my youtube videos, the pick up systems are used.

All the best,

Vi An
reajr
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Thank You Vi_An Reply with quote

great information. much apreciated.

cheers,
reajr
lleung
Plywood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Barcus Pickup Reply with quote

Vi_An wrote:
Please take at look at the barcus berry pickup systems for harp and piano at their website. Google it. I currently use that as well as another pick up system by AKG. Together they provide amazing sound quality marriage with the sound program Logic Studio is simply superb. Mics are great if you have the space. Usually with live outdoors (pickups) are the best. As you can see in most of my youtube videos, the pick up systems are used.

All the best,

Vi An
:Thanks Vi An. I followed your suggestion and just purchased the Barcus 4000. Where is the optimal spot to place the pickup?
annk
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Barcus Pickup Reply with quote

lleung wrote:
Vi_An wrote:

All the best,

Vi An
:Thanks Vi An. I followed your suggestion and just purchased the Barcus 4000. Where is the optimal spot to place the pickup?

I would also be really interested in knowing where you place this pick-up, Vi An. Very Happy
subangman
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vi_An wrote:

All the best,

Vi An

like to have more info about location u place the Barcus planer and AKG minature mic. pls

is ur AKG model C 411 ?
Rieko33
Plywood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Electric guzheng Reply with quote

Have any of you tried this guzheng?

http://www.meideal.com/en/Transparent-Electric-Guzheng-36.html
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the glass guzheng in the music show. It's actually made of plastic.
It has not volume without the amplifier.
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to respond I have been so busy, but I LOVE this forum and I am back to give some feedback based on my 16 years experience performing live with the zheng and various pick up systems like the barcus berry and the AKG.

Okay so placement, you have to find the sweet spot on your instruments one. For me I place it along the middle of the top board where it is flat so the barcus berry pickup can sit nicely on. Or I place it into (inside) the first sound hole flat on the base board. You will HAVE TO adjust the HECK out of the frequencies and levels as these pickup systems are extremely sensitive, because they pick up the vibration, it is completely different than pointing a mic at the instrument which I DO NOT LIKE at all because of horrendous feed back all the time especially live setting!

Give it a try, let me know how it worked out for you all..

Best

Vi An
www.zhengjazzensemble.weebly.com
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: I am back sorry! Reply with quote

I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to respond I have been so busy, but I LOVE this forum and I am back to give some feedback based on my 16 years experience performing live with the zheng and various pick up systems like the barcus berry and the AKG.

Okay so placement, you have to find the sweet spot on your instruments one. For me I place it along the middle of the top board where it is flat so the barcus berry pickup can sit nicely on. Or I place it into (inside) the first sound hole flat on the base board. You will HAVE TO adjust the HECK out of the frequencies and levels as these pickup systems are extremely sensitive, because they pick up the vibration, it is completely different than pointing a mic at the instrument which I DO NOT LIKE at all because of horrendous feed back all the time especially live setting!

Give it a try, let me know how it worked out for you all..

Best

Vi An
www.zhengjazzensemble.weebly.com
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this forum gets attacked a lot by bad bads, sorry i did not post that response twice, i thought the error i got on my screen was legit it was just a trick! hmph!

my instruments are really loud and i play REALLY heavily, i am not a light tinker bell on the zheng instruments as you see, so when i play the Vietnamese dan tranh i sound like an elephant on tight rope falling on bricks with garbage pales all over the place in grandma's tiny kitchen with old China! Ya disaster !

but i am still not strong enough on the Japanese koto, still need to work on that, i love the koto to death it is the most difficult instrument out of the three traditions for me. i am not going to even mention kayagum that is a totally different world of difficult techniques wow! i am not ready.

love love
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: