The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tuning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
=SQUID=
Plywood

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: tuning Reply with quote

here's a suggestion that will benefit alot of people
if you had sound clips of each note tuned to the d tuning chart
so people could listen and tune to that if they dont have a chormatic tuner
Squid
p.s yukina the guzheng is great and beutifull sounds fantastic thank you for the polostyrene protection as well
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I'm planning to film a setting bridges and tuning instruction. I think that will make it easier.
tinhtuyet
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Carol,

I have a question regarding the tunner as well. Smile
My guzheng has square heads, but the tunner came with it is hexagon headed. Every time I tunned the guzheng, it got a little stucked. I have to use my piano tunner on my guzheng, it works, no problem there.

My question is, do I got the right tunner that goes with the guzheng?
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I actually prefer the hexagon shape tuning wrench. Somehow I found it easier to use than the square one, cause you don't need to aim for the right angle, just fit it in and turn. I would recommend fit it all the way in though.
tinhtuyet
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, how do you do that. I got quite scare one time I couldn't get the tuner off from the guzheng for couple minutes. I was worry that I may crack the guzhen trying to take get the tuner off.

My piano tuner is a little bit big at the handle, but it has square shape head. I used the piano tuner from then on.
Tangmu
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second Carol's suggestion for a hex wrench. My tuning wrench had 4 sides, and I could not get it into an optimum position most of the time. I'm using a hex wrench now and prefer it. Also I have a longer handle on it, which makes it easier to make small adjustments. I'm using a 9/32 inch socket, but you should check to see what your size is. I tried metric wrenches, but 6mm was a bit large, and 5mm too small.
magnuspater
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tinhtuyet,

have you tried slightly turning the wrench in the other direction (counterclockwise) to remove tension before pulling the wrench out? i've found that this lessens the force on the tuning peg and makes it easier to remove the wrench.
tinhtuyet
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my husband and I try to release the string, tighten the string.... just to get the wrench off from the guzheng. We found out that in order for us to get the wrench off from the guzheng we have to wiggling the tuner back and forth, then the wrench finally off from the guzheng. We was so relieve that we did not crack the guzheng or brake a string, but it is out of tune now.

We counter few of those per tuning.

Now I use our piano tuner wrench, yes, it is a bit bigger. But it does the trick. I don't have to ask my husband to wrestle the thing off from the guzheng anymore. Smile
hollandindigo
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: tuning Reply with quote

My guzheng is my first stringed instrument, so I have a coupe of questions about tuning: using a chromatic tuner: when I pluck the string, the tuner registers a whole range of notes, one at the moment of plucking, then the needle swings wildly and tuner shows a lot of different notes in succession, then another note on the sustain as the string sounds, then more different notes in that last few seconds of the string vibrating. When string is tuned to register a note (say for example "d"), am I looking for the tuner to show a "d" when I first pluck the string, or am I tuning for a "d" to show during the sounding of the string after plucking? Am I holding tuner too close to strings and picking up harmonics from the other strings, too?
I was watching a friend tune his guitar and noticed that he strums the string tremolo-fashion with one hand and turns the tuning peg with the other simultaneously, but his tuner clamps onto the guitar: with my tuner, I seem to need a 3rd hand to strum and tune AND hold tuner near the string all at the same time, so I haven't yet tried that method.
I finally settled on tuning til the loudest part of the sound was in tune; when I pluck an octave, example: a "d" and the next lower "d" together, they seem to be in tune with each other, and I've accepted that as good enough for now.
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some tuners I have used only catch the first note, so it's easier to use on the guzheng. e.g. Seiko and Yamaha. Some tuners ctach the sustension as well, so it goes right and left since guzheng string has long sustension. e.g. Korg. For those, I just idetify the first catch and ignore the rest.
Then most tuners either can't catch the highest notes or the lowest notes because guzheng has wide range.

Your method works though. Check the octave note see if it's in tune.

I normally place the tuner to stand in between string or put it under the strings resting on the soundboard, so you don't have to hold it during tuning. Or you can get a pick-up to clip it onto one of the bridge just like your friend.
hollandindigo
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: once again: thanks, yukina Reply with quote

I was afraid that resting it on the soundboard might allow it to pick up on vibrations that would interfere with tuning. I've been trying to hold tuner, pluck strings and move bridges all with the same 2 hands at the same time, haha.
Sorry for the ignorance: most of my musical experience involves wind instruments (other than a harp I helped a friend build; but I never made any attempt to learn to play it); I'm not the most musically gifted guy around and string insruments have always sort of scared me (yes, I know that's silly); it's a measure of how much I love the guzheng that I've committed myself to learning this...I'm sure that many of these sorts of questions will be answered by a tutorial video once I order one.
I've put a scuff or two onto my soundboard moving the bridges; in watching videos I've noticed many 'zhengs seemed to have a good bit of wear and tear on their soundboards, so I'm assuming that that sort of thing just happens from time to time. When moving the bridges in tuning, should one slide them while lifting up somewhat on the string, or should I release it from the string so that no pressure is on the bridge?
I'm also assuming that as long as it's in tune with itself (and I'm playing alone) that it's OK; in TRUE tune would be better for training my ear, though, I know...
hollandindigo
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in response to Squid's posting at the beginning of this topic-string: if you 'google' "tuning a guitar" or "how to tune a guitar", one can find several sites with such tone-recordings...I found them a couple of days ago, can look up the links again and post later. If memory serves, at least one site had tones for the full chromatic scale...
Tangmu
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I was tuning a guzheng other than my own, and I was amazed at how hard it is to turn the tuning pegs. I almost had to stand up to press hard enough to get them to turn.

So now I can understand the comments in this thread about the wrench getting stuck. On my guzheng the pegs turn easily.

Carol, what are the tuning pegs screwed into? Wood? Or is there another threaded metal insert inside the wood? Do you have any pictures? Is it possible to remove the tuning pegs and apply some lubricant to make them turn more easily? Maybe a dry lube like graphite powder.
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's screwed into wood directly. I'm not sure. Never took one out before.

Some are rather hard to turn, indeed.
davidmdahl
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it very easy to lubricate the tuning pins too much. Loose pins seems to be a more difficult problem. It is a sure bet that the pins are set in wood. Anything that soaked into the wood would be difficult to remove.

Best wishes,

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: