The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand spankin new improvisations by Vi An!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Brand spankin new improvisations by Vi An!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

You are all doing great?! ENJOYING the summer? Winter? *Giggles*

Happy to share new pieces of music with everyone at:

Damn! What happened to my myspace link. So sorry to those who go the nasty stuff. My account must have been hacked Sad

The first improvisation is on my modified 26 stringed grand SCARLET BIRD guzheng with 28 strings (two soprano strings FORCED in). It is a piece I created for the one I love, yes you Josh (if you are reading this).. It will become the theme for a wedding ceremony procession come Aug.6th which I am the musician for. I love performing for weddings, such a time of love and connection. At weddings I create original music just for the love birds! This is a piece I titled "The One For You". The scale is d-major pentatonic with a range of bass E to soprano A. Hope you also love it! Its rare for me to say this but I really love this improvisation! The sound of this instrument is truly my inner most voice pouring out. In this piece I do not adopt any bends as you can hear. Simply plucking and creating interesting textures is so easy with the SB.

The second improvisation is explained in the instruments section of this forum. "Seventhree" is with my friend Ben Johnson and I busking together at a Farmer's Market place in front of over 5000 shoppers enjoying the day and our music. Ben is playing the Indian tablas and I am on the 21 stringed travel size guzheng using the d-minor pentatonic.

Enjoy and all the best everyone -- let me know what you think,

Vi An

Last edited by Vi_An on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really nice! Let me be the first listener from this forum.

I like "The One for You" a lot. It sounds easy, pleasant and relaxing.
It's nice that you compose new piece just for the wedding.
There are guzheng players here always play sad song such as "Butterfly Lovers" in the wedding. That's so bad.
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: YIKES! Reply with quote

Hello yukina,

I am very happy that you liked my "The One For You"! Thanks for your comment also. Yes it is a very simple piece which anyone can achieve, the d-major pentatonic is just such a sweet and delightful scale to improvise with, you can always come up with something new using this tuning!

I am very sad to hear that people play "Butterfly Lovers" for a wedding! It is totally inappropriate to play that piece. That song is about reincarnation! One year I almost thought about playing that -- but just as quickly as the thought came, my fingers clenched and could not find the heart to pluck for me! Weddings are about simple beauty and cheerfulness, delightful sounds and lively sounds. . .

Enjoy,

Vi An
Zhou
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...HOw the hell did you get those extra strings in?! lovely peice, by the way, but still... is that even possible, without ruining the guzheng?
davidmdahl
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: YIKES! Reply with quote

Vi_An wrote:

I am very sad to hear that people play "Butterfly Lovers" for a wedding! It is totally inappropriate to play that piece.

Well, it can be a lot worse. Music without lyrics does not necessarily mean anything specific, so if a couple loves the music, then why not? On the other hand, examples of truly inappropriate wedding music might include "Nobody Does it Better" or "She's Having My Baby". <g> Wouldn't you love to see a bride process down the aisle to Sai Ma (Horse Race)?

At my wedding, in the days before I was so enamored with Asian music, we used G. F. Handel's "Ombra Ma Fu", an ode to a shade tree. What kind of sense does that make?

Best wishes,

David
Zhou
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick heads up, Vi An,... Um, the url you posted to view the music led me to a "not very appropriate" pop up,... maybe you messed up the adress? I don't know, but I don't want to get in trouble with the library, but I am very interested in your works- sorry I can't see them. ~sadness~
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zhou,

For your heads up. This is terrible, someone in the forum is spamming and hacking weblinks..

To check out my music just type my url out in a new browser instead of hitting the link okay?

http://www.myspace.com/vian

Again sorry to all those who had gotten the spam, those bad bad mean people out there who have nothing better to do with their lives and time make me so angry,

Vi An
*Eats whole tub of icecream*
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not suggest anyone try this at home. I love to experiment and this is the one experiment for me which works but not without a ton of finger strength and will power!

Basically for the grand 26 stringed SB I extended the range both down and up. It came with a range of f# bass to f# soprano. What I had done was restrung the instrument with E bass moving all the strings up.

So it looks something like this:

E 26
F#
A
B
d
e
f#
a
b
d
e
f#
a
b
d
e
f#
a
b
d
e
f#
a
b
d 2
e (squished this in with string d)
f# 1
a (squished this in with string f#)

feeding two strings into one hole and tightening the higher note string tighter first then tied in the other string with it, turning them together. I used tiny koto bridges at the end of the strings on the left side to fine tune the individual notes.

This doesn't ruin the instrument at all. This is temporary as I save up to get a custom made instrument I hope with 30 or 31 strings!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best,

Vi An
Zhou
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are amazing, Vi An... *Giggles and sighs* Honestly, can you get a 30 string? I thought I was just making it up when the main charactr of my book had a 30 stringer.. guess i was wrong... I'm sorry I dont understand anything you just put up on there,... I can't read music- it's some kind of dyslexia, but all my teachers were amazed that I played so many instruments and songs by ear. Believe it or not, i memeorized "Fighting the typhoon" The song Zhou Jian Nan played durring "Thanks for ilving years"

I think it's cool- My favorite musician Shares my name! WEE!
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything can exsist if you can afford it! If you work hard and find the right people to work with you can make anything happen..

I'm all about taking new directions with music and taking controvercial risks musically, while still respecting the nature of any origin of musical instruments. Again as I posted in a previous posting, that I would never tie bells and whistles to my guzheng and I do not see the point of striking the instrument, those are not "experimental" to me, its calling for attention. I like to do subtle and tasteful experimentations which will yeild great sounding results at all times. The guzheng can be such an expressive instrument and can sound more beautiful than the human voice if you can play it with your heart.

That is why being able to play by ear has its sincere advantage to reading off of sheet music.

The key is to feel that musical piece and allow it over time, to become second nature to you,

Vi An
As for me, I have music inside that every day I MUST share it and unleash it or I will explode!

****Hops on guzheng, flower petals and lotus petals cascade with silk streams of fabric trailing behind me as I soar off yonder.......................
Zhou
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree, Music is a part of my very being- its a part of my family tradition...

I, too, often yearn to express myself soley by music ... i don't do much exploding though, I think you're on your own with that one...

you like to fly alot on your Gu Zheng,--- are wings some of those "Tasteful experiments" you were telling me about

n_n Zhou

haha, happy face
mountain_water
Old Rosewood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vi An,

Can i have the sheet music for THE ONE FOR YOU? heheh i love it! its so sweet and calm~
Bryan
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Can I hav it to? (:

Aiming for the Shell carving guzheng!!! GAH!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry my dear friends of guzheng but I do not score any of my music as it just flows naturally out of me and into your ears! You can buy a CD-R copy of my songs if you like from myspace?

Let me know,

Vi An

PS: Maybe later in life I may start to have someone score my music but for now I just enjoy to share it straight from my heart, even before it has a chance to travel up to my brain where I usually fight my feelings Wink
Zhou
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what ever it is, im sure its beautiful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: