The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History - trends

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randal
Plywood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: History - trends Reply with quote

I am wondering about the progression of the instrument. Are metal-strung instruments still in use in traditional music? I understand that nylon is the (modern) standard now. What is the general status of metal-strung guzheng presently?

In Gaelic music (my area of experience), wire-strung harps were de rigueur until the introduction of nylon (correlating with continental [Baroque, et al.] tastes, repertoire, playing techniques, etc) which supplanted wire playing. Wire harping subsequently essentially died-out, due to a variety of cultural factors, and is currently undergoing a revival. I wonder if the same general trend occurred with guzheng?

Many thanks!
Randal
Plywood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I did a little searching on the 'instrument' forum and quickly found some information largely affirming my suppositions.

Should introduce myself - 55 year old male in Western USA. Studied and played classical/flamenco/jazz and other style on guitar most of my life .. becoming increasingly interested in older forms .. studying gaelic harp; oud al andalus; and flamenco guitar are my most favorite forms .. used to play a lot of other folk forms, but presently assuaging my several decade-long love for the guzheng and the music. I studied Bach for a long time, but improvise a lot too - the guzheng affords such wonderful opportunity for improvisors..

I wound up with a metal-string travel-size instrument - I've been playing with fingernails for most of my life since as a boy, so I'm finding affinity with this rustic yet beautiful-sounding metal-strung instrument (traditional gaelic harp is wire strung and employs nails on both hands). I'm seeking strings for it, which seem to be a synthetic-core wrap .. silk and steel? Any suggestions? I know going with plain steel wire would be simpler, but I prefer the larger diameter and supple feel, and tone, of the wounds.

Thank you!
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!
Randal
Plywood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you kindly.

I would like to know more about nylon strings - with which my instrument was strung, rather than steel as I'd thought. I'm intrigued, as I'd assumed these would be fairly equivalent to nylon guitar and harp strings, et al., where the treble strings are simply thick monofilament-like. But these appear to be alloy-wound even through the highest strings. Can folks please explain a little on their composition?
Randal
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I unraveled some excess strings, and see that there is an alloy wire core beneath the nylon, then the outer layer of alloy winding - quite different from the monofilament nylon trebles of harp, guitar, other strings..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: