The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me about guzheng!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Velvet
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Help me about guzheng! Reply with quote

Hi everybody, Smile
I'm a newbie to all of this but the love for guzheng brought me here,so please help me answer these questions, thank you so much! Surprised
So,the other day I went to Carol's website(chinesezither.net) to choose a guzheng for my own.After hours of considering,I still can't make a decision.Guys, please help me cause I'm desperate Crying or Very sad
Firstly, I want to know the differences between intermediate and professional grade because honestly,I can't tell the difference based on their sounds.
Secondly,please tell me that Carol does sell guzhengs in Asia because based on what I can read, her business in only in America.In case she does, please tell me how the shipping works,how much does it cost, also for the tax?
Lastly,I really really want to learn to play guzheng but,apart from how expensive a guzheng costs,the fee here is extremely expensive as well Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad so, I want to know if there is anyway I can be self-taught, maybe some youtube tutorials...that still help me to become a good player? because someone told me that guzheng is extremely difficult especialy without a teacher Sad
Thank you again !
Sincerely,
Vel
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference is the soundboard. The professional grade has thicker soundboard with straighter grains compare to the intermediate grade. That will bring cleaner and richer tone to the instrument. Other than that, the frame wood used is usually better ones.

We do ship to Asia. It depends on which country you located. Shipping rate to some countries are relatively cheaper depends on whether FedEx offers discounts.

I think it's better to learn the instrument with a teacher to learn all the proper fingering and techniques. However, there are quite many people that are self-taught. So, I think it's ok to learn it by yourself with the tutorials.
Sunny
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Velvet. Welcome to Guzheng's world and our forum. Yes, as per Yukina's advice the soundboard is the main factor among other differences. However if you get used to the sound of this instrument, you will easily be able to find the sound quality difference as well. In my opinion, if you can afford, the professional one is much better in long term. I live in Bangkok where many sellers sell guzheng in numbers of brands, models and prices but I decided to buy from Sound of China. Carol is a really nice and sincere seller. I bought 4 guzhengs from her with no problem. The quality, shipment and service are superb. I had to pay the shipping cost and import duty (acceptable level) but still feel it was an absolutely right decision, their instruments are all well selective. Well, the course in Bangkok is inexpensive but I need to find the right teacher as the fee is not much different with the amateur one here. For the self-taught, it is ok if you do not expect to be a professional because I think you need an experienced teacher in the higher level though.
Sunny
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, to choose Intermediate one or Professional one is not as difficult as to choose which professional one suits you among several brands and materials in the same level i.e.; China Rosa, Music of Nature, Noble or Eternal Jade...
Velvet
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much! Embarassed you guys are so kind and helpful.
Unfortunately,after my calculating, the Fedex shipping rate turn out to be quite high(about 378$) that I can't afford.As I can't buy guzheng from Carol, I really hope you can introduce me to some trustful and pretigious sellers from China or Singapore as I think the shipping charge should be lower.
Many thanks!!!
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located?
Velvet
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm located in Vietnam.
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, shipping to Vietnam is expensive. Which model you are deciding? Maybe I can see if the factory can ship directly to Vietnam.
Velvet
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg ! Surprised thanks so much,Carol! I think I'm gonna go with the Yuesheng Burma Rosewood "Colorful mind".Is that a good choice,btw?
Velvet
Plywood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, since Yuesheng is kinda not very talked about(atleast to me),I did a research on gg for more information about this brand but not find any.Can you help, Carol?
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuesheng is established in 1993 by Prof. Zuting Hu. He is a professor in Shanghai Music Conservatory. He started the factory because he wasn't satisfied with the instruments Dunhuang provided. So he hired Dunhuang's craftman to the factory hoping to have better quality control.
Any way, the sound of Yuesheng is similar to Dunhuang.

However, I talked to the factory, but they are unable to ship to Vietnam directly.
Velvet
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww Sad that's too bad.I feel like I've fallen in love with that one and I thought it was so perfect Sad
Velvet
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, how about these three?
http://www.chinesezither.net/SOC-Rosewood-Guzheng-AncientRhyme.html
http://www.chinesezither.net/Dunhuang-Yun-Guzheng-896E.html
http://www.chinesezither.net/Tianyi-Rosewood-Guzheng.html
please let me know is they can ship directly to vn. Thank you! : )
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maker can ship "Ancient Rhyme". Don't know the price though.
rosie.Guzheng
Plywood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Dunhuang Yun / Tianyi Reply with quote

Dunhuang Yun Burma Padauk 896E is the one I am using and I love it. I am a new guzheng student, have only learned playing guzheng about 7 months.

At first, the Dunhuang strings are a little hard to pull but after the break-in period the string have loosen and I like the sweat tone of it and is well-balanced. It is still my favourite practice guzheng with professional grade.

I want to get another guzheng, probably a new Tianyi "Lady Zhaojun" or the one grade above. By the way, Yukina, how come SOC not selling the Tianyi Nanmu Mica Butterfly Dance any more? I like the crispy and clean sound from Tianyi and their air-dried technique.

Scarlet Bird is not bad, but I heard that their strings are hard to pull and they tend to break very easily. If I were to get a new SB, I would consider getting the 790 or #09A.

Any suggestion from anyone?

Thank you,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Instrument All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: