The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone know about these Guzhengs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaumei
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Anyone know about these Guzhengs? Reply with quote

Hi, I started to learn Guzheng at the beginning of this year. I have been practicing tremolo "摇指"for the past three months and finally, I think I got it. I'm so excited!!!!!! So, a month ago I received three more Guzhengs from my husband as anniversary presents. I picked one Guzheng from SOC, it was made by Master Chai in Taiwan. Then I bought two other Guzhengs from a couple of people. Both Guzhengs are in very good condition, almost never played before - the travel sized Guzheng was made in Taiwan, I think, because it looks just like the Guzhengs that I bought from SOC (I have one made by Master Ji, the other made by Master Chai). The black colored Guzheng was sold to me by a lady who never knew how to play. She said that she bought from someone and had it stored for years. The bridge tips on this black Guzheng have no bone insert in them. It didn't affect the sound of instrument at all. There is a sticker that says "Mu Dan (牡丹牌)" on the side of the sound board. It has a pretty good sound and I use it mostly for practice.....I recently switched the bridges with the travel Guzheng. I was told by the seller that she bought the travel Guzheng from SOC about 2 years ago. It sounds really nice, almost like Master Ji's Guzheng with it's clean, bright sound and it's as loud as a standed Guzheng. It's my new favorite and I just adore it so much.... I'd like to know something more about these Guzhengs, can anyone tell me something about them? Why don't the bridges have bone inserts in them?....I'm wondering if Carol knows about these Guzheng by looking at the photos.... Thanks in advance!

Master chai's Guzheng

From left to right - Master Ji' Guzheng, "Mu Dan" Guzheng, and the travel Guzheng

Alice
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alice:

The travel-size is also made by Master Ji. I don't carry those any more. Master Ji has retired......

The black one is Mudan brand. That's an old Shanghai brand. It's out of business already.

Yukina
Shaumei
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukina wrote:
Hi Alice:

The travel-size is also made by Master Ji. I don't carry those any more. Master Ji has retired......

The black one is Mudan brand. That's an old Shanghai brand. It's out of business already.

Yukina

Thanks Carol! I'm glad that travel Guzheng is made by Master Ji. Too bad that he has retired.

Have you ever seen a set of bridges without bone insert on the tips before? Do you know why?
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are for old style steel-strings.
Shaumei
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's why. Any thing that I just learned from you. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: