The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

amplifier vs speakers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
i.guzheng
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: amplifier vs speakers Reply with quote

Hi everybody:

I am looking to invest in a portable amp./speakers for outdoor use. I would welcome input from fellow guzheng players. Thank you for your help!

Sandie Yip
magnuspater
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i.guzheng,

Are you going to use a mic or pickup? How many channels? Budget? Max. weight of the amp?

We have a Fishman Loudbox Performer, a two channel amp that works well for our needs. One channel has an XLR input so we can plug in a mic. Having two channels comes in handy when we want to amplify two instruments for a duet. It's the older, discontinued model, but they have newer versions of the amps available. I personally like the older version better, as it seems to be built more solidly than the newer models.

We use this hand cart from Costco to transport the amp.
i.guzheng
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi magnuspater:

Thank you for your quick reply!

I prefer mic over pick-up that way I can retain most of the acoustic sound. I like two channels, nice to have extra for duet or I have the luxury to use two mics for the guzheng. I like the Fishman Loudbox mini is lightweight and portable, but bit over my budget. Your Fishman Loudbox Performer must be very nice in terms of the sound quality.

I am not in a hurry, but its something that is nice to have. I'll keep looking though.

Thanks so much!!
magnuspater
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind used, have you tried craigslist.org? You can sometimes find good/great deals. Or maybe even an acoustic guitar forum sales section. Best of luck in your search!
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: AKG-C411L Reply with quote

This is the absolute best pick up system for the Asian long-zither instruments I've been using since 2002. Never failed me and still in perfect functioning order. There are many portable guitar amps and all in one amps, it is best to chose one which gives you as many options as possible for input and output.

The AKG pick up here: http://www.amazon.com/AKG-C411L-Ultra-Light-Instrument/dp/B0006IU91G

Requires PHANTOM POWER so make sure the amp you chose has this function!

I have two of them, one I attach to the top board and one inside the base board, through the sound hole, it doesn't have to go very deep at all. As these pick up systems take the vibrations.

It takes some engineering savvy to get the best sound and tonal balances eg: equalization is key when using any mic and amp system any ways.

It is not plug and play, so you can't expect to just get the best and then it just sounds good right off the bat. Nope. I spent many years, many long years, experimenting with everything under the sun to finally come to this point, with the help of many great sound engineers too no less! The ear must be trained along with how to properly implemented these powerful tools to enrich your musical experience for yourself and your audiences.

The zheng instruments demands harmony on all fronts, from practice, to expression, to how it is going to be enjoyed by you and others, so the same Zen applies to gear knowledge to make the best sound choices possible.

So try everything under the sun and see what works best for your applications ok?

Best always,
Vi An
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: