The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help with flowing water part of High Mountain Flowing Water

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: help with flowing water part of High Mountain Flowing Water Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am having a bit of trouble with the flowing water part of High Mountain Flowing Water (the part with the continuous gliss with the thumb and index fingers). After doing the "shang hua yin" for the last note of the index finger gliss, am I supposed to quickly let go of that string right before my thumb gliss goes over that string? If I have the string still bent when gliss over it with my thumb, it sounds very strange since it's still one note higher. But if I let go of the string too early, the "shang hua yin" sounds awful because you can hear it go back to the original note.

I'm guessing the alternative would be to stop the thumb gliss before the string that is bent and not play it at all, and proceed on to do the index finger gliss.

I tried watching YouTube videos but the players' hands/fingers are always too fast to see exactly what they're doing! Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you have to let go the string before the thumb pass through. You do have enough time, because the thumb is starting from a few strings above. That gives you time to release the bending without making xia hua yin.

Try practice slowly.
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Carol. I will practice it more carefully. The timing is quite tricky for a novice like me. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: