The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

yaozhi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mountain_water
Old Rosewood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: yaozhi Reply with quote

I am having so much trouble with yaozhi. Can somebody please tell me how the index finger is supposed to place on the thumb? LIke the position and where it is supposed to touch, how high is the index supposed to be? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

I feel like my index finger is slightly changing shape because i'm pressing too hard on to the thumb. and also, sometimes after yaozhi, the finger plucker is slanted due to the pressure from my thumb.

Thank you
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I place my index finger right where the thumb tape is. Index finger is bending a bit inward, so it's not affecting plucking of the thumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPaq2FILFrg

You don't have to press too hard. Actually, you need to relax your whole hand in order to do a steady tremolo.
Webbedfingers
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it helps -

I started doing the yaozhi the same way Yukina has described. Most of the videos (Yuan Sha and Bei Bei He) show making a half-moon cup with the three fingers on top of the right side of the thumb tape. It looks very neat when played this way. The little finger is used too balance the hand, so that the rapid thumb movement can stay steady.

I've had 3 guzheng teachers - all teach me in the same way, so I guess this is probably a safe way to start off doing yaozhi.

There is a name for the yaozhi when it is done at the edge of the right side of the guzheng, and is moved in crescendo towards the left side using the thumb and the index finger in a pincer like grip at the plaster level. This means that you cannot use the little finger to pivot the hand. I've been working on this and I prefer this method. This means that the other 3 fingers can rest mid-air, detached from the thumb, and only the thumb is used to do the yaozhi.

When I showed a friend how to do it, she told me that my yaozhi is scarey enough to intimidate any guzheng player. Shame the rest of my playing is so bad lol.

This player uses this way of doing yaozhi:

http://gbtimes.com/culture/music/adeles-rolling-deep-guzheng

You can see its advantage: it is faster to do, as you do not have to return to the size of the guzheng to pivot the small finger for balancing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: