The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guzheng exam 2012

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Guzheng exam 2012 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide whether or not to take the guzheng exam this November hosted by the CCOM in Irvine, CA. Can anyone who has been to these types of exams give me an idea of what to expect at the exam and tell me about their experience?

So far, for level 5 at least (which I might be testing at), I am told I have to perform 2 pieces (one "practice" piece, one traditional piece) by memorization in front of judges. I get quite nervous playing in front of others, so I don't know if taking the exam is right for me. My guzheng teacher is really encouraging me to take it and so is the other student in my class, so the pressure is on, lol.

Thanks ahead of time.
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will be a good experience.
Good luck!
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Carol. I still haven't made up my mind yet. $95 for the exam and $25 for the book is a quite a bit of money! Especially if I don't pass, lol.

Yuning Pu sent me the English version of the exam guidelines, fees, and entry form in PDF format, in case anyone needs them.
annk
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carey wrote:
Thanks, Carol. I still haven't made up my mind yet. $95 for the exam and $25 for the book is a quite a bit of money! Especially if I don't pass, lol.

Yuning Pu sent me the English version of the exam guidelines, fees, and entry form in PDF format, in case anyone needs them.

What did you decide in the end, did you do it? How was it?

I took the 1st and 2nd level exams here in Norway a couple years ago when my teacher's teacher was visiting. But in February I'm planning to go to Shanghai for the guzheng association's 3rd and 4th level exams. My teaacher has explained quite a bit about how it will be, but I'm curious about your experience. Smile

I'm looking forward to getting through these two exams. I was ready to take them last year, but had to change my plans due to an illness in the family.
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did take the exam but for level 4 instead. It was a good experience but I was pretty nervous though. I made mistakes during the exam and didn't play as well as I practiced at home, but the judge still passed me in the end. Maybe they are not as strict outside of China? This was in southern California, USA.

There was only one male judge examiner for all the instruments (there were other players testing for erhu, yangqin, etc.). Each player was called in one-by-one into a room with only the judge inside for the exam. I didn't bring my own guzheng (which I now feel was a mistake) and had to use one provided by the exam organizers. The examiner didn't know much English and I didn't know much Mandarin so the only conversation we had was him saying "Play the first song". After I finished both songs, I bowed and said thank you and left the room. That's about it. I didn't get my exam results until a month and a half later in the mail.

Hope this helps! And good luck with the exams.
annk
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carey wrote:
I did take the exam but for level 4 instead. It was a good experience but I was pretty nervous though. I made mistakes during the exam and didn't play as well as I practiced at home, but the judge still passed me in the end. Maybe they are not as strict outside of China? This was in southern California, USA.

There was only one male judge examiner for all the instruments (there were other players testing for erhu, yangqin, etc.). Each player was called in one-by-one into a room with only the judge inside for the exam. I didn't bring my own guzheng (which I now feel was a mistake) and had to use one provided by the exam organizers. The examiner didn't know much English and I didn't know much Mandarin so the only conversation we had was him saying "Play the first song". After I finished both songs, I bowed and said thank you and left the room. That's about it. I didn't get my exam results until a month and a half later in the mail.

Hope this helps! And good luck with the exams.

I've been back almost a week now after taking the 3rd and 4th level exams in Shanghai on Jan. 26.

It was interesting, and pretty hectic. I had my own instrument with me, but was told the rules didn't permit me to use it. They had two instruments set up in the exam rooms (one in D and one in G). They didn't take the time to tune them between candidates, so they were pretty out-of-tune, which was a little distracting. But when I asked permission to tune, the judges (who were very nice) told me not to worry about it, they weren't judging me on intonation. Oh well.

Some pieces they heard through all the way, and in some cases they stopped candidates by ringing a bell. I played two of my pieces all the way through, and got stopped on two.

It went well and I'm glad I did it, even though it was expensive and hectic to go all the way to China for the few minutes the exams lasted!
annk
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been back almost a week now after taking the 3rd and 4th level exams in Shanghai on Jan. 26.

It was interesting, and pretty hectic. I had my own instrument with me, but was told the rules didn't permit me to use it. They had two instruments set up in the exam rooms (one in D and one in G). They didn't take the time to tune them between candidates, so they were pretty out-of-tune, which was a little distracting. But when I asked permission to tune, the judges (who were very nice) told me not to worry about it, they weren't judging me on intonation. Oh well.

Some pieces they heard through all the way, and in some cases they stopped candidates by ringing a bell. I played two of my pieces all the way through, and got stopped on two.

It went well and I'm glad I did it, even though it was expensive and hectic to go all the way to China for the few minutes the exams lasted! I'm thinking I'll go back in 18 months to do levels 5 and 6.
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and good luck with the future exams. I'm not sure if I will take the next exam if it becomes available again. But it is sorta nice to have a certificate saying you have accomplished something, lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: