The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

balance between reading music sheet vs. looking at strings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: balance between reading music sheet vs. looking at strings Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and to the guzheng. I had my first beginner's lesson with Teacher Rita Li a few days ago at Sound of China and bought a Tianyi Rosewood guzheng from Carol (which I love!).

I wanted to ask the guzheng enthusiasts/experts here for advice about how to divide the time between reading the music sheet for notes and looking down at the guzheng for the strings while playing. I find that if I look at the music sheet too long, I lose my position on the guzheng and have to pause playing and find the right strings again. If I look at the strings too long, I lose my place on the music sheet and forget which measure I'm on. Do guzheng players eventually just memorize the whole song and not have to even look at a music sheet?

Thanks for the help ahead of time!
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carey:

Welcome to the forum!

I would say I spend most of the time reading the music sheet than looking at the strings. You'll get more comfortable with the string lay-out in a few weeks, than you can spend more time reading the music.

Good luck!

Yukina
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! It is challenging to learn the strings but it is so rewarding when I can play it right. I wish I can skip work and just play guzheng all day. Surprised
magnuspater
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same issue when i took guzheng lessons for a brief time. i know what note i needed to play by looking at the sheet music but my hands didn't develop the muscle memory needed to be able to just read the music without looking at my fingers. and it didn't help that i'm used to having the lower-pitched strings closer to me (ala guitar/bass). i kept on wanting to play the lower notes with my thumb. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: