The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help ... Having very difficult time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doll
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Help ... Having very difficult time Reply with quote

Hey everyone...I'm new to GuZheng and bought the travel sized concert one from Sound of China.

It is my second day with the GuZheng. I made the silly mistake of not reading the forum carefully first, and I loosened the strings which I read you are not supposed to do.

(But I also read that they are already loose for the travel version? Anyway, I did not know that, and I loosened them some more because I was scared about the strings breaking when I placed the bridges)

Now I am having such a hard time tuning my GuZheng...

To get the right pitch I have to keep turning the wrench tighter and the strings are not strong enough to sustain the force. Two of them already broke before I could tune them to the right note. I'm afraid all of them will break by the time I go through each one! Even the thicker strings seem at risk of breaking.

What should I do in this situation? Did I mess my GuZheng up by loosening the strings some more? Or is it normal for the strings to be so fragile in the beginning?
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry. You just need to tighten them back. When tuning the high notes, lift the string up away from the bridge or take down the bridge, and then turn the wrench. Do not let the string sits on top of the bridge when turning the wrench, it easily breaks the string this way.

The strings are not fragile, they are just a little unstable in the beginning.
doll
Plywood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yukina, thanks for your reply!

I am still having difficulty.

If I tighten the strings before putting the bridges, the bridges do not fit underneath.

I tried tuning by pulling the strings away from the bridge, but even then it feels like the strings are going to snap before I am able to tune to the right note.

String #14 is one of the strings that snapped, and I know the thicker strings are not supposed to as easily.

could i be doing something wrong?

I watched the video and everything but can't seem to get it right....
Chiichyan
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've always retightened strings with the bridges on. Instead of the string snapping because of the bridge, it cuts INTO the bridge. String snapping while tuning is because of uneven tension from the two sides of the string (left and right of the bridge) so you tighten a bit, then you stretch it (by vibrating the string on the left or right, then tighten it again, then restretch...It's like stretching before a exercise. Strings are wire on the inside, wrapped with string, then coated with plastic...basically. Like Yukina said, the strings are strong. They just need some stretching at the beginning. They'll also go offtune after about half an hour of practice for the first week because of stretching. (yeah it's annoying to spend half your practice retuning the whole thing 10 times)

If you need visual aid, I can show you on skype or something.

Also, make sure that your instrument is not too cold.

I've snapped one of the last strings before, the first time I restrung my instrument...it's scary =)

Make sure you are tuning it with a tuner, not by your ear. The highest string's bridge should be about 5 inches away from the right bridge. Work your way down from there. Remember, when tuning down from the top, it's 1,6,5,3,2,1, or D,B,A,F#,E... Bridges should also be in 2,3,2,3, clutters, like the piano black keys. For example, the "clutter" would have bridges 2cm away from eachother at the base, and the space between would have 5cm or so. But the spaces aren't all the same. The higher the notes, the smaller the gap. The lower the note, the farther they are (from eachother)

Example pic:
http://quarternotez.com/web_images/guzheng.jpg
doll
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!! Your explanation was very helpful. I didn't know the strings had to be stretched like that...such a newbie hehe. The bridges are fitting more easily now!

I'm going to try tuning it now. Hopefully won't snap any this time. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: