The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me about guzheng!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOC should have more Tianyi Nanmu later this year.

Scarlet Bird has been using Yuesheng strings for a few years now, based on my recommendation.Smile Any way, they switched to Yuesheng strings, so basically the strings will be exactly the same strings as on the Tianyi. So you can choose based on your sound preference. They have different characters.
rosie.Guzheng
Plywood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your prompt response, Yukina. It is very cold here in Toronto -15 with no windchill, it will be a different if with windchill, may feel like -20 or -25.

I am glad to know that SOC is getting the Nanmu later this year.

I personally can't tell the difference between the Tianyi and SB. What I know Tianyi and SB both air-dried their soundboards, while Tianyi can produce a very clean sound and SB is more robust and resonant. I will go back to the videos and check carefully.

Perhaps Sian SB may suit our weather better than the Tianyi. My teacher's Dunhuang has cracked already underneath, in the back board area when I peaked under, we need to put vaseline (petroleum jelly) in the side board and some string holes areas to keep the moisture.

Yukina, the next time, please briefly state the difference between Tianyi and SB and some buying tips. Much thanks.

Happy Valentines Day to everyone.
mcqueenorama
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the expense of finding a teacher, they are quite expensive here in the San Francisco Bay area too. This lady in Madison, Wisconsin (Emay) does online Skype sessions which are much cheaper, though I haven't tried them yet. I'll give it a try soon. I'm sure, there are others who do online sessions too.

To stay on track, I bet some expensive local visits to a real teacher will be required, but maybe the expense can be reduced by doing more frequent, cheaper, online tutoring, and fewer of the more expensive local teachers. That's my plan.
rosie.Guzheng
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you to go check your local community centres to see if there are any "group" lessons. They usually have classes open on Saturdays.

Yes, you do need to visit a real teacher to monitor your progress and to give advice on finger practices, speed improvements, etc.

Best,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Instrument All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: