The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tuning
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangmu. Please do not apply any lubricant at the screws!!! I do agree with David that the loose pins will give you more headache Shocked please ensure that the tuning pegs allow the enough screw space before you put the strings into the hole and start tuning. The best you can do is to unscrew (anti-clockwise)the tuning pegs before setting the strings. The unsufficient screw will cause a very hard tuning when the tuning pegs are screwed into the wood. It may cause the cracks (at the screw wooden holes)or damage the strings. The high humidity will be another one reason, the wood will absorb the humidity in the room and swell, that allow to screw in difficultly.
Tangmu
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warnings, I will not put anything on the screws! Very Happy

And the guzheng that is hard to turn the pegs on is in very high humidity, so Sunny's explanation seems true.
Royce
Rosewood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: tuning Reply with quote

I would suggest trying the graphite from a pencil. One of my former violin teachers recommended taking a pencil to "lubricate" the place where the strings pass over the sattle at the peg box so the strings dont catch in the groove and unravel. I think Randy Raine-Reusch (Mei Han's husband) also recommended this for tight guzheng pegs to me while he was here. (He also mentionned something about using chalk when the pegs slide too much, but I'm not sure if I remember this correctly.) I wonder also about violin peg dope for sticking pegs, but they could get too slippery and that would be bad.
dulcimoo
Plywood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: tuning Reply with quote

hollandindigo wrote:
My guzheng is my first stringed instrument, so I have a coupe of questions about tuning: using a chromatic tuner: when I pluck the string, the tuner registers a whole range of notes, one at the moment of plucking, then the needle swings wildly and tuner shows a lot of different notes in succession, then another note on the sustain as the string sounds, then more different notes in that last few seconds of the string vibrating. When string is tuned to register a note (say for example "d"), am I looking for the tuner to show a "d" when I first pluck the string, or am I tuning for a "d" to show during the sounding of the string after plucking? Am I holding tuner too close to strings and picking up harmonics from the other strings, too?...

It depends on where you pluck the string. When tuning the string pluck it midway between the horn and the Ji/scales (between edge of the Guzheng and the moveable bridge). [Sorry I play okoto and use those names]. And you want the tone when it "settles down".

If you pluck near the center of the vibrating portion of the string more of the energy will go toward the fundamental tone [which is what you want] and less into the overtones, plucking anyplace else will cause more energy to go in to the overtones [bad] which can confuse the tuner.

Also realize the most probable overtone will be the V (PFifth) and if you see that note you can just use it. But plucking in the center should help. If you have a tuner with a pickup you can clap it to a tuning peg near the one you are working on and that should help too.

You should not be getting very much sound from the other strings if you only pluck the one string, so sympathetic vibrations perhaps but if a lot try softer.

As to lubrication - NO don't. Violine pegs being tapered wood are way different then Guzheng pegs.
citera
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: tuning Reply with quote

Royce wrote:
I would suggest trying the graphite from a pencil.

graphite is suitable and old dry soap is also good
citera
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangmu wrote:
Recently I was tuning a guzheng other than my own, and I was amazed at how hard it is to turn the tuning pegs. I almost had to stand up to press hard enough to get them to turn.

So now I can understand the comments in this thread about the wrench getting stuck. On my guzheng the pegs turn easily.

Carol, what are the tuning pegs screwed into? Wood? Or is there another threaded metal insert inside the wood? Do you have any pictures? Is it possible to remove the tuning pegs and apply some lubricant to make them turn more easily? Maybe a dry lube like graphite powder.

The pegs has soft travel, so you can screw out and into. If it screws too hardly, screw the peg out a little, and run into and out, it will be sloppier. But if you can't screw the peg, or wery harly, screw it out entirely, and glaze it with old dry soap. I always use it at making my zithers. (i'am zither maker).

Akkording to me, piano pegs are not suitable for zithers, because they screw hardly. harpsichord pegs are more suitable, but I use only mymade travelless pegs with 5mm diameter. Perhaps, in the zheng's case not so tragical that pegs hardly screw, because you can also tune by moving the bridges. My yatga don't have even one tunning peg, it works without pegs, it is tunnable only by moving the bridges. That works as the kayagum. You strut the string by hand as far as you can, tie the string's rope, put on the bridge and tune.
citera
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a method for tunning without tuner. Firstly tune the coloured strings. Than you can tune the middle range- one octave between two coloured strings. Over the lower coloured string, the second white string is guart to tha coloured string. Guart is well hearable interval, so you can tune this string exactly and you can check to the upper coloured string with quint interval. Under the upper colour string, the second white string is also quare to the upper colour string, and quint to the lower coloured. Alredy miss oly 2 string in this octave range, which quint to each other. The upper of two middle white string in the octave range quart (guzheng) or third(yatga) to the first white string over the lower coloured . The lower middle white string is third (zheng) or quart(yatga) to the first white string under the upper coloured. You can check the two winger white strings, they quart to each other. If the middle octave is tuned, you can tune all the strings with octave intervals to the suitable strings of the other octave ranges.All These of interval are well hearable, so you can tune all the strings well exactly without tuner. This method is faster, because your ear is faster then the tuner, because you should just listen While screw the peg, not to look the tuner.
citera
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be easier to show, then explain in English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: