The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for some help with making a Guzheng

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tetsuaiga
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Looking for some help with making a Guzheng Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone here will have the time but i'm trying to make my own Guzheng but have a few gaps in knowledge of the instruments design. If anyone can help i'd be extremely grateful.

The design i'd like to follow is a travel size guzheng so about 130-140cm long. Perhaps roughly 36cm wide. At the moment I know I could get some good Cherry for the body and i'd like a Spruce soundboard. I don't think theres much chance of finding the Paulownia wood here in the UK.

For the first instrument I plan on using diatonic (7 note scales) tuning. I think I can work out how to do this okay. I'd like to use the standard tuning someday perhaps on another instrument.

Heres a few crucial things im missing, i've made educated guesses but would rather get more precise measurments if I can.

1) Length of open strings (without bridge), from rail to rail. I think the whole instrument really needs to be designed around this.

2) Thickness of soundboard and other body parts, is soundboard carved into curve or bent? Soundboard curve, I estimated about 2cm higher in middle than edges but really dont know.

I've made a design on google sketchup, its a great free program if anyones after an easy design program with measurements.

If you like you could PM me or discuss on the topic.

Thank you,

James
magnuspater
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tetsuaiga,

i have a travel and made some measurements of string length:
1 - 80 cm
3 - 82
8 - 83
10 - 86
13 - 92
18 - 105
21 - 108

i was checking out this thread and it looks like the top is carved. don't know the thickness though.

the bottom is about 10 mm thick.

sides were about 3 mm or so.

the soundboard was about 3 cm higher in the middle when measured at the saddle side. i wish i had radius gauges so i can give you more accurate information.

would you mind posting your sketchup file? i would love to see it.

best of luck in your guzheng making!
Tetsuaiga
Plywood

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Magnuspater, some really helpful information there. I might be able to buy the wood I need soon now =).

Its good to see those pictures. It looks like the sides and soundboard are all carved from the same piece, I don't think ill be doing that though. Must be pretty expensive to get a good piece of wood that thick.

Are u sure the sides are 3mm, not cm? Thats less than I expected.

I found this one a website about soundboard thicknesses. I guess when it says wide it means depth.

Quote:
4. Which is better? Wider grains or tighter grains?

A: The width of the grains is correlated to the age of the tree. Usually, the outer edge of the tree has wider
grains, while the inner part has tighter grains. Weather and climate are also factors. A good guzheng sound
board should sound loose yet focused. A Board with wider grains sounds loose; while a board with tighter grains
sounds bright and focused. An ideal board will have loose grains in the bottom low range and tight grains in the
high range. Generally, the best width for high range grain is between 0.5cm-1.5cm, and the best width for the low
range grain is between 2.0-3.0cm

Sure I can send you the sketchup file it. Probably easiest to email it to you, so let me know your address if you want. I'll update it first.[/quote]
Tetsuaiga
Plywood

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I have another question if anyone knows.

Guzheng bridge size..

Does anyone know what the width is one these?

I might actually buy these instead of make, are they all the same size/shape?
applevinegar
Rosewood

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bridges are practically identical in 3D shape but are gradually smaller, and shorter towards the high end strings.
1 inch thick, 2 inch wide wood might be just enough for the largest bridge.
Tetsuaiga
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually ordered some myself as I think theyre one of the more difficult bits to make if you dont have one to copy off. Price wasnt too bad either.
citera
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wich is the largest bridge? The highest string, or bass? probably the middle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Instrument All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: