The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to string a Koto

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thanh
Plywood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: How to string a Koto Reply with quote

Hi Guise!

I'm always asking myself how do i string my koto if i have to replace it?
Can you explain it to me?

See you soon!

Tran Thanh Huy Very Happy
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is one of the most difficult things to do in the world, well, one of the most difficult things to achieve as it requires training, so I suggest buying a flight to Japan, seek out a koto master luthier and learn how.

I have had my roommate luthier friend string one of my old kotos before and he is pretty good at everything, he did it to the best of his abilities and succeeded but it was NOT easy. The koto was too old and too damaged to be able to hold the tension required, so eventually it was no longer worth it to keep the strings maintained.

What you'll find about the Asian long zither world is how difficult it is to find comprehensive material in English about such topics as stringing, making etc etc etc etc etc.

I think it has improved greatly since I started on this journey in 1990, it has grown quite a bit but still not as much as most things out in the world-wide-web.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Instrument All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: