The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

36-string guzheng

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: 36-string guzheng Reply with quote

Vi An, I think this is for you!

Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: OH MY GOODNESS! Reply with quote

OH MY GODDESS Carol you made my whole day, my whole life! AAAAHHHHHHHHHH (screaming) it is possible to have more strings. WOW!

Where did you take this picture, that is so incredible girl thank you for sharing this I'm so beside myself right now that is just the most amazing thing ever!

I'm so happy girl you ROCK you are the best,

Vi An.
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions:

1: dimensions and weight?
2: did you hear this in person what did you think? did you try it? tell me you tried it!
3: how much for one with absolutely no decorations and how can i get one?

Wow!

I'll sell all my gu zhengs away practically give them away at a super good price to afford this one. Except my DUNHUANG duo cranes, thats my baby!
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this from a Chinese forum. My Taiwanese friend posted the picture. He said he is going to interview the guy on the picture later.
I have no further detail so far.
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank you, well I look forward to any developments on this front I'm so intrigued. Its like Christmas every day when I know about things like this. Gu zheng and any gu zheng news every day, makes Christmas feelings for Vi An every day don't forget that people! YAY!
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Poor me! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I wish I could afford that Mad ! hahaha I have never seen so many strings in my life!!!! I bet the base is amazing!!!!Carol will you ever sell any guzhengs that have more than 21 strings? Embarassed
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: More strings? Reply with quote

There isn't the market demand for gu zhengs with a greater number of strings than 21 strings. Which for the instrument is perfect and if you wanted more strings 23 is optimal. Actually anything more than 23 strings and you start to get a blurring effect on these instruments. They were not designed to handle more range, meaning, to effectively balance the frequencies between lower and higher registers. It is not possible to produce sufficient bass sounds, or notes with a gu zheng with more strings, simply because the instrument is not a bass instrument in design. You can build gu zhengs with more and more strings (but there is a definite limit), however you will sacrifice tonal quality. Something totally drastic and innovative has to come from the internal construction in order to have a huge bass sounding instrument as well as an instrument which will have clean clear and sustaining mid to highs.

Even with my Scarlet Bird - 26 stringed instrument (which I modified to house 28 strings), the lower notes range is only in above that of the cello and lower than the viola. The roundness of the gu zheng lower notes do not compete with the fullness of that of true bass sound. But I'm greedy for more "range of notes" so it suits me just fine for composition.

The gu zheng is not long enough and the strings for the lower registers are not thick enough to handle "bass" resonance. The zheng is not designed for bass sound. Its limited. You can only get a good feel of the bass like sound through amplification. It is best to play two instruments or three (haha), a soprano zheng with a standard 21 stringed zheng and last but not least, the bass zheng. I have never heard the bass zheng before just on its own so I don't know if that instrument's bass can compete with say a double bass (upright acoustic bass) or even the Japanese bass koto.

The Japanese bass koto is over engineered for what little bass sound it does produce now. This instrument also could use major re-designing.

This is where my two luthier friends come into the picture, one comes from both guitar and bowed strings experience, while the other specifically from guitars. Both very eager to work with me in designing my own line of instruments. A fun side project for me!

Anyone like to add??
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing wow, thanks......I cant wait to see your first guzheng!!!
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: ANY more info regarding this zheng? Reply with quote

I wonder if we have any new information about his particular instrument? Thank you.
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: You are right it is for me 36-stringed zheng yes! Reply with quote

You are right it is for me I finally knew it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Instrument All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: