The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making of Koto

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Making of Koto Reply with quote

I visited Mishimaya's Fukuyama factory last week, and had the luxury to see the process of making koto.

Here are some picture I took.

At the entrance yard, there are some air-dried Japanese paulownia that's been there for years.

After some cleaning shaving prcoess. They are ready to be made.

Initial shaving.

More

Ready to be carved.

There are some travel-size ones on the side. They are carved out as well.

Carving the soundboard:

The maker uses a measuring tool to measure the inside curve of the soundboard.

After he used the measurement, he did the final touch by judging with his own fingers.

Sound grooves are carved underneath the soundboard.
For the high end ones, V shaped grooves are carve, and for the standard-professional grade, straight grooves are carved.

After the body is done, the koto body are sent to coloring.

Koto is colored using hot iron. The hot iron stick is heated to red by charcoal. Then rub on to the wood.

Before rubbing directly onto the wood, the maker first rubbed the iron on a stone to scratch off the charcoal. See there is no flame when he rubs on the stone.

Then when he rubs on the wood, there is a big flame coming out. I was told that the oil in the wood are burned when the hot iron is rubbed on.

Coloring the soundboard:

After a few times, there is no more flame. I was told that is because all the oil is burned out. The tiny remaining will cool down and foam a protecting coat on the top of the surface.

After the coloring, the maker will use a bamboo brush to scratch the wood with a flower wax. Then the beautiful grains will show.

The decoration parts:

drobzz
Plywood

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Very Happy
applevinegar
Rosewood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwww!! So exciting I am reading this post right away! Very Happy
applevinegar
Rosewood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic pictures! Thanks for sharing this!
My paulownia tree was growing crooked so I cut it flush to the ground this Spring (recommended by the seller to "reset the fast growing process") and now it is about 10 feet high already. (in just a few months) Also I took one extra shoot and stuck it in a pot, then into the ground and now I have 2 paulownia trees. (paulownia fortunei) They root very easily. I wonder if they will be ready for a guzheng in 8 years . . . (or at least a mini guzheng) Glad you are still posting these pics they are so inspiring and insightful for me to continue my (very long) project. Much thanks Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Instrument All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: