The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another hello from a new member, with some questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Another hello from a new member, with some questions Reply with quote

Hello to everyone from New Jersey!

I just became a member of the forum yesterday, after having been given a 16-string guzheng as a gift the night before. So I've got a little more than a day into learning to play it, and am really having fun with it.

I posted a question in the techniques forum, but maybe that was the wrong place for it... Does anyone ever reverse the order of the strings on the guzheng, so they go from low pitch to high pitch as you get further from your body - like a western harp? I play piano/keyboards and a number of western string instruments, including finger-style guitar, and am having a little awkwardness getting used to the idea that my thumb is on the highest pitch, rather than the lowest...

I don't know what kind of instrument I got - it has straight bridges on both sides, and the strings are steel, uncoated with any nylon or anything, with the lowest 3 wrapped in what looks like bronze. There's no color coding, and the lowest strings particularly look a little worn. What's a good place to get a new set of strings, and what kind are recommended for a steel-string instrument?

Also - what are good picks to buy? The ones I saw on Amazon seem to either have no ratings at all, or have bad ratings...

Thanks for any and all help! I'm looking forward to reading and communicating with others on this journey.

- Michael
Webbedfingers
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

welcome :cheers:

It's not very active on the board sometimes because we're too busy playing.

Sound of Asia sell some nice strings. The silk strings are the ones I want, once I can afford them Smile

Shanghai Dunhuang B strings are great. Since you only have 16 strings, best to check your soundboard can handle it, and won't buckle under the extra tension. Are you using non-wound steel strings at the moment?

I asked Yukina last time - some strings have the A string coloured red - these are the older traditional non-wound string which has a different sound from the modern wound ones, and also require less tension. The Shanghai Dunhuang A ones are okay. I bought some other brands which I can't read but the Dunhuang B is the one which impresses me most.

Not sure about finger picks - the plastic ones on amazon or carrotmusic are not very good at all. they are thick like spades. Maybe try Soundofasia again?
Michael
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for replying. Yes, they're unwound steel except for the lowest two, which I believe are copper wound. I will try Sound of Asia for the strings and picks.
Webbedfingers
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a spare set of strings 1-10 in case you snap them whilst fitting lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: