The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dunhuang Bubinga
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webbedfingers
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jkyyuen wrote:
My experience is buying a guzheng from carol and flown it back to canada as a fragile luggage. We just have a hard case from carol, and went to the grocery store and bought a few rolls of Saran wrap. Tightly wrapping the case, the guzheng arrived perfectly. (the airline lady was nice and did not charge extra.)
I think there is greater risk from fedex than flying with you as a luggage.

Thanks Jessica. Using the wrap is a great idea.

Airlines vary on policy; some airlines will include a musical instrument free in addition to your luggage allowance; some will include it within your luggage allowance; others will only accept it as a special request booked in advance, and others just charge about $400/kg excess.

There isn't any hard and fixed rule, so unfortunately we all have to check with the individual airline before hand. I've always liked Air Canada when I've flown with them. They have generous luggage allowances and their seats seem wider than European seats. Maybe that's to reflect the indigenous body mass indices of their passengers lol.
Sunny
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sunny - glad you like your Bubinga so much. What other Gu zhengs do you play?

Well, I have a Dunhuang Zitan, an SB10, a Tianyi Heitan (custom made), a Dunhuang Bubinga and a Dunhuang travel-sized Rosewood.
Webbedfingers
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny wrote:
Quote:
Sunny - glad you like your Bubinga so much. What other Gu zhengs do you play?

Well, I have a Dunhuang Zitan, an SB10, a Tianyi Heitan (custom made), a Dunhuang Bubinga and a Dunhuang travel-sized Rosewood.

Ok well go ahead and brag lol Smile
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fit any large zheng into any car, just simply move the passenger seat forward and feed the instrument tail end first into the back seat and then wedge it (head down), strings facing up, behind the passenger seat or lay the back of the passenger seat all the way down as much as you can, wedge the head of the zheng (strings facing up) in the foot area. Presto Very Happy

I'm experienced I can fit any instrument into awkward places because I have to travel with the instruments ALL the time.

All the best strumming !

Vi An
Webbedfingers
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I must be the most unlucky Gu Zheng traveller around!

My car only has 2 seats. None fold down - if they did - it would expose the engine behind the passenger seat! Rolling Eyes

The only time I had to get a taxi with my Gu Zheng in hard case, the taxi's rear seats did not fold down. I was really stumped. None of the taxis that came would take me saying that the police would pull them over for an object protruding from their rear boot. I ended up paying twice the cab fare to persuade the cabbie to take my Gu Zheng diagonally sticking out of the passenger side of the boot just to get it home.

Maybe I need a folding Gu Zheng? Wink
Sunny
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About one year after I bought this Dunhuang Bubinga 894 KK, now its sound is completely opened and perfect!!! The resonance is noticable better than Dunhuang Redwood Duo Crane 694 DQ or even better than 694 KK. When I tightened the strings, the sound is so crisp and sweet. Understand this 894 KK is the improved version from 694 KK. The sweetness of Dunhuang plus more resonance from the Bubinga material (including the special sound windows)make this one is perfect for me compare to its price which is much cheaper than the Purple Sandle Wood.
Dunhuang is wise enough to improve the resonance of their production while still maintains the sweetness and crispiness of their merit points.
Fuxi
Plywood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Bubinga 894KK/K this past June. I love it! It really resonates very nicely! Thank you Carol.
Sunny
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuxi, have you tried to tighten the strings? I changed the strings to Dunhuang B, play it for a certain period. Then, tightened the strings (as much as you do not feel uncomfortable). The sound will be much cripier and clearer. The bass is louder while the high pitch is sharp and punchy. Perfect!!!
Fuxi
Plywood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny wrote:
Fuxi, have you tried to tighten the strings? I changed the strings to Dunhuang B, play it for a certain period. Then, tightened the strings (as much as you do not feel uncomfortable). The sound will be much cripier and clearer. The bass is louder while the high pitch is sharp and punchy. Perfect!!!
hmm, I don't know what strings are on it, which ever were on it when I bought it. (Caro would know) However, I have moved the bridges back slightly, which has allowed me to tighten the strings. This is my first and only guzheng so far, so I don't have others to compare them with. Perhaps I'll post one of my compositions on here and you can listen to how mine sounds. I have a unique tuning that uses two different tunings in one, allowing me many more possible cords. I imagine that the ancient masters of the Se would have done it this way, with having up to 50 strings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Instrument All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: