The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A friendly hello from a new member

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaumei
Plywood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: A friendly hello from a new member Reply with quote

Hi, everyone! My name is Alice, I'm new to this website. Hope to meet some nice folks here and to learn everything about Guzheng. 

My husband bought me a Guzheng for Christmas from Sound Of China. My Guzheng was made by Master Ji, I love its beautiful sound. Thanks to Carol - the owner of Sound of China, for posting some great video courses and tutorials online. I have been following her lessons and practicing daily. I've been studying for three months now and have learned about 15 songs so far.

Here are videos of three songs that I am learning to play. I'm not too good at the 渔舟唱晚, as I'm still in the practicing stage. Please let me know how I did with these songs. Thanks!

望春风,SpringBreeze: http://youtu.be/FPlByhZMZzY  

黄水谣,YellowRiverTunes: http://youtu.be/3NfFs1H7mQw  

渔舟唱晚:     http://youtu.be/s28n9Kk0iJo 
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alice:

Welcome to the forum!
That's very nice playing! I'm so surprised you are able to accomplish this much in such a short time.
Also very glad people are able to follow and learn from the tutorial!
Smile
Yukina
Shaumei
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your nice comment Carol! I appreciate the great service that you provided when helping me select my Guzheng when I was in your store. Funny to remember back how nervous I was about buying a Guzheng. I had zero knowledge and I thought it would take me many months to learn a few songs.... Lol... Your online courses really helped me and gave me a lot of confidence. I went through each of them over and over until I learned each lesson completely... I also learned a few songs from those books that I bought from you, like 绣金匾,西江月,浪淘沙,紫竹调,虞美人,凤阳花鼓,在北京的金山上,小城故事, 小开手,穿花蜂,自由花....

I checked on your website and saw that you have some Guzheng made by master Cai (蔡师傅). I'd like to learn what's different between his Guzheng and master Ji's Guzheng? Does his Guzheng have a (air dried) thick sound board carved out like Master Ji? How does his Guzheng compare with 天艺Tianyi’s Guzheng regarding (clarity) clear sound? How does it compare with the 朱雀Scarlet Bird 09 on strong rich tunes? Thanks in advance!
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alice:

Master Cai's instrument has a very different sounding from Master Ji's. Master Ji's guzheng sounds full and clear and punchy. Master Cai's sounds guqin like, deep and clean. Both theirs and Tianyi's have very clear sounding. Scarlet Bird has a different. It's deep and warm, piano like.

Master Cai's soundboard is air-dried and then seared with iron just like the kayagum. His purpose is to bring out the ancient deep tone like the kayagum.

Yukina
Shaumei
Plywood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carol for your reply! Master Cai's Guzheng sounds interesting. If it sounds like Guqin or Kayagum, it must sound real nice with traditional Chinese music. I wonder what its like if you play morden songs with it. I have to pay a visit to your store someday to check it out in person.
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting about the modern pieces. I made one of Songbo into diatonic scale, and it turned out to be the best diatonic scale guzheng I can imagine. I've been trying western classics on this guzheng. It sounds so clean and deep.

I can also picture this to be a good guzheng for modern piece like "Ming Shan". I don't think it will sound good for "Spring to Xiang River" or "Morning Fog". It will depend on which modern pieces then.
Webbedfingers
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaumei,

what a great intro!

What interesting playing for a newcomer too - you're very welcome Smile

Looking forward to hearing more Smile
seana
Old Rosewood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: A friendly hello from a new member Reply with quote

Shaumei wrote:
Hi, everyone! My name is Alice, I'm new to this website. Hope to meet some nice folks here and to learn everything about Guzheng. 

My husband bought me a Guzheng for Christmas from Sound Of China. My Guzheng was made by Master Ji, I love its beautiful sound. Thanks to Carol - the owner of Sound of China, for posting some great video courses and tutorials online. I have been following her lessons and practicing daily. I've been studying for three months now and have learned about 15 songs so far.

Here are videos of three songs that I am learning to play. I'm not too good at the 渔舟唱晚, as I'm still in the practicing stage. Please let me know how I did with these songs. Thanks!

望春风,SpringBreeze: http://youtu.be/FPlByhZMZzY  

黄水谣,YellowRiverTunes: http://youtu.be/3NfFs1H7mQw  

渔舟唱晚:     http://youtu.be/s28n9Kk0iJo 

Here is another 黃水謠 & 漁舟唱晚, hope can help you in some ways.
www.youtube.com/meelietang
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: