The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unwound strings?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webbedfingers
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Unwound strings? Reply with quote

I use standard Shanghai Dunhuang B wound strings which I quite like: they are strong and offer incredible bending with a heart wrenching vibrato. You can tell these ones with the green coloured A (So') strings.

I came across across a guzheng player who had an old guzheng with old style strings. This style of string has a red coloured A string and are much more elastic. They are less loud but incredibly poignant and delicate. I asked about them, but apparently the strings are discontinued now.

This will probably turn into another "Does anyone know what I'm talking about?" thread. But I loved the delicate tones of these old style strings. They don't appear to be wound, and are 'straight' metal wire. Possibly silver? Definitely not silk.

Has anyone got any or know where to get the complete string set?
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If those are really old, they are made from Suzhou. Those are still nylon-wound-steel. It's just the steel are thinner and the nylon wrap are much more.

Yuesheng still makes red and white strings for the Scarlet Bird. The composition is similar to Yuesheng's standard professional strings.
Sunny
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher comments that he prefers the Yuesheng rather than Dunhuang A while Dunhuang B is good but more expensive.
Webbedfingers
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Yes that's right - the guzheng is very old. It looks not very impressive at all but the sound is very interesting. Very different from mine.

The advantage of these old strings is the softer sound. My neighbour is knocking on my wall at night time. Also, the softer wound string means my left hand does not blister as badly.

Yukina - can you stock these old style strings?

Sunny - I'd listen to your teacher. I bought a set of Shanghai Dunhuang A strings and never liked them. I got rid of them in my first year playing, mostly by breaking them trying to tune Laughing

The Shanghai Dunhuang B strings are much richer. Maybe heavier or harder too? I'm surprised at how much life it adds to my Dunhuang aged rosewood guzheng.
Sunny
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm. Ofcourse Dunhuang B is much richer and stronger than A. If you set up B in the same tension with A, you really need to use more energy to play. But the sound is superb and last longer. Please very be careful, now there are a lot (repeat a lot) fake Dunhuang string in the market. I always buy from SOC for safety. The life time may vary upon the playing frequency and environmental factors. Now I use it over 1 year, the sound is still perfect.
Yuesheng string is less expensive and need less energy to pluck. It is a good choice for mojority players.
Webbedfingers
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sunny.

That would explain why I am annoying my neighbours with the loud Shanghai Dunhuang B strings.

It has been over a year since I last used the Shanghai Dunhuang A strings. At the time I was just excited to be able to play guzheng. It is true - I like the loud sound Smile

A baby zheng with the Yuesheng strings for night playing would be great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: