The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

different finger for same note

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: different finger for same note Reply with quote

I notice there are repeated parts within the same song in many guzheng pieces. I also noticed that within these repeated segments, sometimes the finger specified to play the exact note changes from one segment to another. For example, in the piece "Beautiful Flower Under the Full Moon" (花好月圓) in SOC beginner's guzheng tutorial (lesson 8), the first half of line 2 and line 4 are exactly the same, except the second "6" is played with the index finger in line 2 but the thumb is used instead for line 4. Is there a reason why this 6 is played with different fingers? And doesn't this make it harder to memorize entire guzheng pieces when fingers are switched in repeated sequences?

Thanks!
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way is fine. Two different fingerings are written so the student can be used to all possible fingerings. Eventually, the students should be able to apply a comfortable and logical fingering themselves.
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: new finger notation Reply with quote

Thanks Carol! I have another question. For the fingering, which finger do I use if the finger notation is a straight horizontal line above the note? As is shown in this image for the second 2:

Does it mean to use my index finger again? This is from the guzheng piece 小鳥朝凤.
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that doesn't look like a good fingering. it means it's the same fingering as the note precedes.
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: prevent slurring sound Reply with quote

Thanks again, Carol. I have yet another question from the same piece. Do you have any advice for playing the first bar in the image below? I'm assuming the 6 in the circle means that I should bend the 6 string to get it to sound like high 1. But I am having trouble with slurring sound going from the high 1 to a "xia hua yin" 3 after releasing the 6 string to get to the 3 quickly. Is there a trick to prevent the slurring sound?

yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just based on the score, only the first note you bend the 6 string, the next two 1 are played on the regular 1 string. Then you should have time to pre-bend the 3 and release it.

However, that doesn't sound right? Which score is this from? I would not play the bending 6 into 1 just look at this line. I would play those 1 on the regular 1 string.
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the ending to the piece 小鳥朝凤. I got this from Teacher Rita Li. I can't remember whether she bent the 6 string or not for this part of the music when she was playing for us during class. Sad
Sunny
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carey, it does not sound common to me. May be the song writer wants you to do something harder on the fingering technique. Ummm, as Yukina's comment, if you have to bend then bend the 6 to high 1 and play the next two 1 on the regular 1 string. However, if you need to strictly follow the fingering in the score, may be you can try to bend the 6 with Index & Middle fingers to raise the pitch to high 1, in the same time use your thumb to prebend the 3 (Xia Hua Yin), pluck and release it. Please pay attention to your plucking and releasing the fingers as well.
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to wonder if there is a mistake in the score. The finger notations are supposed to help the player, not make things harder, I presume. Confused
Sunny
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carey, sorry I just saw your mentioned notation. I think if you want, use your left hand's middle and thumb to bend the 6 and low 6, then pluck both strings by right hand to create the 1 and high 1. The next two 1 have to be played on the normal high 1 string. When playing these two 1, so you have enough time to move your left hand to prebend the 3 for Xia Hua Yin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: