The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finger tip pain/calluses from bending strings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bzgirl
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Finger tip pain/calluses from bending strings Reply with quote

I've developed some pretty annoying thick calluses on my left index & middle finger tips from bending the strings. It has reduced the amount of pain experienced while playing the guzheng, but it has also caused a dull pain from excessive pressure the rest of the time.

Does everyone else get calluses? What do you do to take care of them?
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is normal.Dont worry hahahah!I have those on my little finger.I used to have them on all 4 fingers but they just went away overtime.I have found that some pain is o.k when learning a new technique!but if it gets too bad then something is wrong.
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I saw the way you press down on the strings I would be able to tell. I have never experienced calluses due to bending strings. The only time I get calluses is if I pluck with my left fingers extremely vigorously while I'm performing in public places where acoustics are terrible, so that I can achieve a very loud sound.

Perhaps your strings are too tight or you could be pressing the strings too close to the bridges.
bzgirl
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been practicing the an yin & hua yin quite a bit. I have no musical background, so I'm not sure what is meant by setting the strings tight or loose.

I did play around with the reference pitch on my tuner and realized that if I lower the A4 ref, then the strings are looser. Is that what you mean? I was using 440Hz and dropped it down to 438Hz two days ago. Not sure if it matters, but the strings are some unknown brand from a Guangzhou company.

I do wear picks on my left hand, so the pressing area is the very tip of the fingers. Wish I can get a video of myself up somewhere. There are no teachers within 3 hours from my home, so I just try practice what I've learned from a few beginner private lessons in Boston before I moved here and mimic Li Meng on the VCD Smile I was taught to bend them about 6-7 inches from the bridges.

Thanks!
mkuo
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bzgirl wrote:
I've been practicing the an yin & hua yin quite a bit. I have no musical background, so I'm not sure what is meant by setting the strings tight or loose.

I did play around with the reference pitch on my tuner and realized that if I lower the A4 ref, then the strings are looser. Is that what you mean? I was using 440Hz and dropped it down to 438Hz two days ago. Not sure if it matters, but the strings are some unknown brand from a Guangzhou company.

I do wear picks on my left hand, so the pressing area is the very tip of the fingers. Wish I can get a video of myself up somewhere. There are no teachers within 3 hours from my home, so I just try practice what I've learned from a few beginner private lessons in Boston before I moved here and mimic Li Meng on the VCD Smile I was taught to bend them about 6-7 inches from the bridges.

Thanks!

You should look at Yukina's Tuning Video
It lets you see how tight your string should be

For Hua Yin, I usually bend at 1/3 away from the bridge on the left side strings

my calluses come and go
chineseharp
Rosewood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My callus are a bit better after I started using picks on both of my hands...
magnuspater
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calluses are pretty common when playing any stringed instrument. i wouldn't worry about it too much. joe satriani avoids washing dishes for fear of losing his calluses. Very Happy
anomalouscode
Plywood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnuspater wrote:
calluses are pretty common when playing any stringed instrument. i wouldn't worry about it too much. joe satriani avoids washing dishes for fear of losing his calluses. Very Happy

lmao, i'm quoting you the next time the girlfriend asks me to do dishes!
hisashi
Plywood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do also got some pain like playing Guitar chord on my left finger -*-
Carey
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My left fingers are starting to form calluses too! I've been practicing a lot of bending and left hand plucking as a part of my lessons the past few weeks. My guzheng teacher Rita Li even showed us her well-formed calluses, lol. I wish there was something I can stick on the fingertip pads to prevent calluses from forming.

On a side note, it has also become harder to feel for small delicate things with my left index finger now because the fingertip is numb and desensitized. For example, it's harder to "feel" where my contact lens is when it's soaking in rinse solution using my left index finger. Those lenses are soft, slippery little things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: