The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how much practice is right

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: how much practice is right Reply with quote

hello I have been moving up so fast it seems in my skill and technique in only one year .I practice about 4 to 6 hours on weekday and 8 -12 hours on weekends.First I start off with a finger drill for one hour and then move on to the song.also sometimes i just do a 4 hour finger drill. And on the weekend I start off with a 2-3 hour finger drill and a 6 hour song practice with 10-20 minute breakin between. How much is your extrteme practice?Is this normal? thank you!
Jui
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is some hardcore practicing. But then you want to make this your profession so I doubt it's ever "too little", as long as you have someone to guide you from time to time so that you don't end up with bad or wrong technique which in some cases, can even result in stress injuries.

Me? 15minute drills then 45-minute song practice, as long as I have the time that is. Just a hobbyist heh.
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I guess you are really dedicated!
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for replies jui and yukina. Unfortunately I have no teacher but I do watch the vcds.I live where there are no other guzhengers. some times my arm and my wrist gets sore from wrong technique but I still practice till i get it right. I know there is a teacher here in minnesota his website is www.mnguzhengmusic.org but he has no way to contact him if you find way please let me know. Also does anyone think I should move some where there is a Guzheng teacher?,I am really dedicated to guzheng and need lessons soon to take futare far. need lessons before it is to late. thank you!
jetz&music
Old Rosewood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-6 hours on weekdays? Shocked woah. you're 15 am i correct? you're more dedicated to guzheng than i am to erhu. i practice for 4 hours max. yes, if you feel tired or sore, there is something you're doing that is wrong. yes, a teacher would be important if you want to continue this instrument and also become a professional. good luck on everything.

Erhu learning is complete!!!
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello jetzandmusic yes I am 15 years old. Sometimes i notice i am doing wrong technique but I go back and watch the vcd carefully.I really want to master the guzheng but without proper lesson and technique it is not possibe idont think.Thank you for reply!
Jui
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably being very obvious here, but I don't think you'd need to actually move to somewhere else, just driving/taking a train to study under a teacher during the weekends should be good enough. Yuan Sha, IIRC, did just that in the beginning.
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello jui, I would drive to go lessons but I do not know where any teachers are in minnesota do you know of any that i can contact, plus i would have to ask friend to take me to lessons my grand mother and i have no car it is very difficult to get around.If we move some where there is guzheng teacher it would be easeir more convient. But Thank you for your advice.
Jui
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Jarelle, I can't offer any contacts for teachers since I don't know the scene in the US.
hisashi
Plywood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!

As I have to work so, I have only 30 mins - 1 hr. on weekday to practice.
This is because I am already tired from work - -!

I think you can improve your skills so fast.

**I know one guy, he practise 8hrs. a day while he was in university - - and now he can play many pieces very well.
Chiichyan
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is only too much practice IF your technique/posture is incorrect. But if you are practicing for so many hours without shoulder/neck pains, then it must be ok =)

My practice, was about 6:30pm-11pm on weekdays, Saturday evenings from about 5-9, and Sundays from 9am-9pm during highschool...BUT this was only because we had performances ALL the time.

If I had a choice, I think I would only practice about 3 hours a day. And I would do drills, spot "training" for one or 2 songs that I'm learning, and then play songs that I've already mastered "for fun" to relax.

Sometimes I have my off days and nothing I play sounds good, then I just don't play that day. In the end, it's quality over quanitity.

But I think any teacher would love their student to be as dedicated as you =)
June
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do any of you practice songs that you already knew? What I found is that if haven't played the song for a while, I kindof have to learn the song again. It's so frustrating. It seems like I can only play the one or two songs that I have been practicing every day but nothing else. Is this normal or it's just a problem with me! Will it help if I would have memorized the songs?
annk
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

June wrote:
How often do any of you practice songs that you already knew? What I found is that if haven't played the song for a while, I kindof have to learn the song again. It's so frustrating. It seems like I can only play the one or two songs that I have been practicing every day but nothing else. Is this normal or it's just a problem with me! Will it help if I would have memorized the songs?

I thought about your question last night, because my teacher called me and asked me to play at a Chinese festival with her this weekend. She suggested we play two pieces I learned two years ago. I haven't looked at them since, so I was curious about whether or not I could learn them over again fast enough.

I had them both back in my fingers after about an hour, and I think it's because I learned them very thoroughly at the time (one of them was one of the pieces I played for the 2nd grade exam, so I had really worked hard on that one). I had memorized them both. So I think you're right, it will help if you memorize the pieces.

One of the fun things about going back to pieces you've done earlier is that they're easier the second time around! Cool
June
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback, annk. I am glad to know that I am not the only person with this problem. I also find it difficult to memorize a song. I guess the amount of practice I have is just not enough. I admire those people who can perform so many pieces from memory and make no mistakes. They must have spent many days and nights practising!
Chiichyan
Plywood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v never had a memorization problem...My teacher has quite a few CD's, and I listened to them all the time.

If you have trouble memorizing, it might be because you're a different type of learner.

After you feel that you're playing the song perfectly, record yourself. Listen to it all the time, everywhere. Hum/sing in your head, while you're listening (say on the bus, in the car etc.) and maybe even imagine yourself playing it.

Put it on repeat on your cd player/computer, and play along without looking at the music score.

I can play songs I haven't touched but have memorized, after a couple years without playing it. It's just like riding a bike... after a while, it becomes muscle memory. Remember to think about the song, what each part is describing, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: