The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any right sitting position to avoid backache?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musiclover
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Any right sitting position to avoid backache? Reply with quote

Hi i am practising my guzheng drill about one hour a day. At the end of it, i find that i have a slight backache. Is it my chair or the way i sit is not correct?

Will the seniors please advice what is the best way of sitting at the guzheng to avoid back stress. Smile
musiclover
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my avatar is the chair n my guzheng. I am quite tall 1.76cm. Does this affect the way i should sit to play on my guzheng ?
musiclover
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arigato..... Razz
chineseharp
Rosewood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either adjust the height of the chair, or adjust the position (left or right) of your chair. I found out that sometimes the style of the chair will make a difference. So try different chairs also... Best to you.
Chiichyan
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sat in many different chairs, and I have never had back aches from playing. Even if someone is slouching, it should not cause back pains.

Is the pain on your lower back or upper back?

The only pain that someone should feel while playing guzheng is 1) muscles being tired, which feels like your legs when you sprint 2) pressure from the strings onto your left fingertips (unless you're using the left hand picks) 3) your brain if you're thinking too hard =(

Sitting posture = your back should be straight, shoulders should be relaxed.

Teacher says suggests your belly button to be at the same level as the top of your guzheng sound board, but I always try to sit as high as I can, usually my belly button is at the same height as the top of the bridge closest to me, and 4 fingers width away.

When you practice your drills, do you play fast and loud? Are you breathing? Are your arms tense? Are you wrists high and moving along, or are they low and tense? Fingeres should be perpendicular to the string, or a little more forward, and wrists should be parallel to the sound board. When plucking, fingers should be pulled back towards your wrist, not upwards so you can see your joints from the back of your hand.

After you learn your drill, try to play it loud and slow, make sure you are breathing all the time. After a while (like a week or two) gradually increase the speed of your drill and lower the volume.

If you can, practice with a mirror infront of you, and you can see your shoulders. When you are stressed, your shoulders will go up closer to your ears unconsciously. Breathe and lower them, keep your wrists high. Your elbows should not be swaying sideways, but front and back. Just like a sprinter's arms, they will always be pumping front back, never sideways.

If none of this helps you, maybe your back is just weak. In that case, do some core exercises, like the plank position.

Hope this helps a little bit.
musiclover
Baby Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my legs are too long and i have to turn towards the leftside slightly to stretch my legs. I put my right leg against the stand but still i feel my legs are difficult to keep close after a while.
Chiichyan
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, so if you have your leg at the "normal" 90 degrees, your thigh pushes against the bottom of the guzheng?

My brother used to stick out his leg infront of the Guzheng, but it looks really rude hahaha =)

I wish I could see how you sit etc. I'm REALLY short, so the only problem that I have are chairs being too low...

If the chair is at a comfortable height, but is too high for your Guzheng, you might need higher stands (if they are made) or make one for yourself?

You can raise your Guzheng about 1 inch by putting the right edge of the guzheng on the stand, but you have to be careful because there's no "hook" to keep the guzheng from being pushed off the stands if you push from the left....does than make any sense?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: