The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

making my cd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: making my cd Reply with quote

hey all!!! Im still working on making my cd.hehe Normally I play my songs 98-100% correct....I have a problem(i cant do it in the studio)!I dont know why! I try my best not to think about playing perfect but I still make those mistakes i never make before.Plus my Tianyi zheng has a buzzing sound to it!I think the middle range sounds abit flat too =(.... how do you feel more comfortable playing when your recording?I really need to focus!!!!!! aiyaaaaah! Just need to play more clear!wich i can do....

any advice is welcome!thanks sooo much!
jetz&music
Old Rosewood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem.
recording videos or audios..... and the worst was doing solos on stage.

Try recording on your own for a while when you practice, so you get the feeling of how it's like being recorded. I usually close my eyes a lot. Just get into the music... and ignore all your surroundings. Also minor mistakes are ok to ignore. I've heard mistakes in cd recordings before. If you do well in performances, you can record then. There are CD's that are live performances. Good luck with it!

Erhu learning is complete!!!
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!hehe
seana
Old Rosewood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not easy to satify one's recording with the precise and sensitive
system. To me, it's also necessary to memorize and understand
the background of the songs. Most importantly, have a musical sense
to bring out the rhythm. I only have 4 CDs up to date so far, and some
are still on my desk top but not for the 5th yet.
Hope to hear yours soon.

Seana
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm actually I quit haha it was alittle too much i think and plus it was like a mad rush so i just quit.........maybe when i move i will start another one!thanks for the tips though Wink
anomalouscode
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resurrecting a dead thread!

cos i thought i might be of some help,...

yeah recording yourself is a pain.

seana and jetz both had some great tips,.... i think recording yourself as often as possible is a great way to improve your playing. the problem with just playing is that you're busy being in the zone, and for many its hard to be critical while we're playing.

so a recording is a great thing to have to analyse, why did you play that wrong, why is there loads of buzzing, what if i did this just a little different next time,... loads of helpful info can be gathered from the most basic of recordings.

do it often and you'll be comfortable having a couple mics pointing at you.

as for the actual recording,... there's loads of little things you need to pay attention to so if anyone is recording and mixing their own stuff, feel free to pm me, i'll be happy to help out with tips.

i'm guessing guzheng is similar to koto, so for really good recordings you need a really good room first, so your living room might not cut it, but if you have access to a nice church or something similar try that.

if not, try close micing, which is basically moving your mics closer to the instrument to get more instrument and less room sound. you can always add reverb during mixdown, which is what i do when i'm not recording in nice spaces.

the tricky thing with these instruments is that punch-ins are hard to do as there are usually loads of sustained notes from previous plucks in the room. so if you mess up one point, go back much much further than your mistake and then the engineer(you) will have an easier time blending the takes.

last tip of the day, go easy on the reverb, get it sounding how you like, then pull it back 10-20%.... the mark of an amateur is using too much reverb.

i hope that helps some Very Happy
Chiichyan
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the buzzing might be from inside the guzheng compartment? Sometimes my tuner would be against the metal rods, or the...tuner stick? I don't know what it's called in English =( is lying against something, so when I'm playing, the vibration makes some buzzy sounds.

Sometimes I have to take them out because even moving the items around, they would still make buzzy sounds.
Vi_An
Zitan Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: in studio Reply with quote

i have a thing where in studio i become a perfectionist and rarely do i enjoy the recording takes, performing live and on the streets for festivals etc is very relaxing because no one really cares how you sound and you can't really hear yourself acutely as in an air tight, sound proof - silent studio, you can hear everything. it makes me nervous and i can't relax.

so to prepare for studio recording sessions i make tea, i make an effort to not think about it as a recording session and to think of it as another creative process to enjoy, if i truly love the zheng instrument i will do this for the enjoyment of hearing the instrument sing. before i even get the studio to record, i sit and play the instrument for a while and really listen to it, making sure all the bridges are set so that there is no buzzing, rattling or any sounds which does not help the music. sometimes certain "noises" helps the experience of it being so real ! i make sure i have a tuner and all the notes are set, i do a test recording and while i listen i do gentle stretching and stand up shaking my limbs while i think of corrections etc.

do it for the fun and enjoyment of it, do not go into studio thinking its to be perfect, imperfections are beautiful and have their place in nature. love the instrument and the creative process always. its not about being perfect and glorious.

its about music to share........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: