The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emotion expression in Guzheng

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hwsthk
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Emotion expression in Guzheng Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm from HK. I learnt Guzheng when I was in China for longer period of business trips. My objective is to play the music with emotion expression and audience can feel it.

I can figure out all basic fingering techqniues. However, I find it difficult to express the feeling. Do you have any clues ? Some experienced players say if they want to play it sad, a sad music is coming out naturally.

My feeling is like cooking. I know how to cut and handle the ingredients but how to add the flavor in it during cooking. This is something I want to explore. I believe a good music performer should able to bring consensus on feeling to all audience, no matter where they are from. Like delicious food, all people can feel it and taste it good. I believe there should be some scientific method on teaching this. Like cook book telling me to add xx teaspoon of salt, pepper..etc.

If you have Idea the technqiues and learning skills, do tell me?

Thank you.
My name is Heidi from HK. I like learning guzheng and want to share the learning skills with peers in english/ chinese. If I travel to China, I make use of the long business trips in China to learn guzheng.
davidmdahl
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you listen to an expressive singer you will hear phrasing, changes in dynamics (loud and soft), rhythmic precision, changes in tonal color, and "character". For an instrumentalist, trying to emulate a good singer is an excellent way to make expressive music.

To play expressively, you will need the sound you want in your mind, and good control of your instrument to make it happen. At first, it is necessary to deliberately plan dynamics, accents, phrasing, and so on. In time, with practice, it becomes natural.

I find it very useful to record myself and listen to the results. Compare with a recording by a master and note the differences. I have often found what I thought was an expressive performance came out flat in the recording. Sometimes it takes what seems at the time like overdoing it to come off as expressive.

Best wishes,

David
annk
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with David, imitation is a very good way to start. Young students of classical Western music are taught to imitate their teachers' phrasing. The point is that over time (years), the norms of expression will become second nature. At a certain point, you find you're no longer imitating, but rather that the phrasing comes naturally.

I also agree with David about the fact that having good control over the instrument - technique - is essential. A solid technique is necessary in order to concentrate on the music. A lot of people see them as two different things, and it is of course possible for a technically proficient player to play unmusically. But technique is a tool that allows you to communicate the music.
hwsthk
Plywood

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Left hand and emotion expression Reply with quote

Is there any article describing the correlation between left hand skills and emotion expression ?

I read some chinese articles saying 4, 7 are used to express sadness. How about happiness ? or other feelings ? If I know more, I can emphasize these left hand skills to express the emotion obviously.
My name is Heidi from HK. I like learning guzheng and want to share the learning skills with peers in english/ chinese. If I travel to China, I make use of the long business trips in China to learn guzheng.
Meena
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: How can I get this music sheet? Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcfcfHrA-3Q
Chiichyan
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I learned expression and feeling is somewhat similar to davidmdahl's post.

Firstly, and most importantly, LEARN THE SONG. Play it well technically. Memorize the song.

Then, find a recording of the song that you like, and play it on your computer or CD player and play at the same time. When you play to exactly the same way as the recording, for example, dynamics, then try playing it without the recording.

Breathing patterns are also very important, and head nodding. Unfortunately, those are mostly visual aids, and teacher aids =(

My guzheng teacher had always said, musical expression is incredibly hard. The easiest way is to copy other people's expression until you become good enough, and have a deep enough understanding, to express your own feelings.

And also, feeling will almost never come out if the piece is not memorized.

I hope this helps a little bit =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: