The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Numb fingers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mybtrinh
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Numb fingers? Reply with quote

I am a new to guzheng, and have not practiced much, but find the fingers on my left hand numb from playing vibratto and the 4 and 7 notes. Is this normal?
Webbedfingers
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess like me, you have not had enough experience and so you need to practice short bursts (no more than 20 minutes) and build up your practicing time, otherwise you will end up with tendon or muscle strain.

The bending notes 4 and 7 should not cause numbness either. If you are getting numb doing certain repetitive (vibrato) manoeuvres, or bending manoeuvres, particularly over the left small finger and ring finger, or just the thumb and first two fingers, then you should really see a doctor and check it out in case you have a nerve compression problem (like a carpal tunnel syndrome) which is starting to show up.

Otherwise, you may be overdoing it and your fingers are telling you that they need more rest in between!
Chiichyan
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you describe this pain in a little more detail? and if it hurts anywhere else?

Personally I believe that if you are starting the Guzheng, you should not press to 4 and 7 just yet. The most important thing is to learn the correct motion and position of the left hand, and HOW to press, which is using gravity and the weight etc. of your wrist dropping.

If it is only your fingertips numb because of the strings' pressure, then it's fine, you will have to wait until it callouses. (The indent into your finger from your strings should be going diagonal, mostly on your index finger from the top right of your finger to almost the first joint.) BUT, if your wrist, forearm, arm, shoulder, or neck is in pain, you need to seriously re-assess your positioning before the pain worsens, because it will damage your muscles.

Soothe your fingers in a warm towel after practice, don't practice until you get a blister, or if it cuts through your skin (like me). Days off are negative practice. Practice a little every day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: