The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Totally new to guzheng, Self Teaching?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maku
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Totally new to guzheng, Self Teaching? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

So I'll be getting a guzheng sometime in September, and I'm almost entirely new to the instrument. I have been obsessive over the last year and a half about the instrument (as well as a koto, but i cannot afford a koto).

Do you think I can self teach myself and obtain a moderate level of understanding and mastery of the instrument? I've even spent time learning how to read Guzheng jianpu, learned what each of the notations mean (and even attempted to arrange the pieces for piano). I think i have a fair understanding of the notation. I've also ordered a Guzheng Exam book with levels 1-6 of finger exercise and practice from ChineseZither.net's ebay store.

What would i need to be able to successfully teach myself to play guzheng?
Maku
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I'm Indian and cannot read Chinese characters for the most part(only about 200) nor do i speak Mandarin or Cantonese.
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen many people that are self-taught. Some are very good, like Vi An and Jarrelle.Smile
I think for self-taught, it's good to have some music background. Then it's easy to pick up the rhythm and the music notation, etc.
Guzheng is a relatively friendly instrument for people to start learning. The basic techniques and notation are relatively easy to pick up. I would recommend to have a teacher to watch you over see if the fingerings are correct. Even a few lessons will help.

The level 1-6 book is a little too difficult for beginners. I would recommend Yuan Sha's Easy Learning of Basics or Sound of China Guzheng Tutorial. Both are very good entry materials.

Last edited by yukina on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maku
Plywood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, ok thank you! I do have some musical background, i play piano regularly, i'll see if i can get the basic books and lessons, thanks! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: