The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! tryingt o teach myself guzheng!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mushrrom
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Help! tryingt o teach myself guzheng! Reply with quote

Hi!

I have been playing Yangqin for a while and now i want to shift to guzheng because its easier to travel with.
There is just no teacher where i am and i need help with literally everything!
identifying the notes on the strings....
i was told there is no F and B note. How do you produce them??
HELP!!!
i found some tutorials on youtube but they are not in english.....Sad Exclamation
vouslavous
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is an F and B there really are no "missing notes from a guzheng, just the notes change depending on how you tune it, and some notes are only achieved by pressing down on a string

EXAMPLE

most beginner songs are played in D major ( you will see 1=D on the top of the page)

this is how a guzheng is tuned to D major

1=D
2=E
3=F#
5=A
6=B

the strings are tuned to a pentatonic scale, only 5 notes in the scale
to play the G and C# (4=G, 7=C#) you must press on strings
** for G press lightly on the 3 string ( G halfstep above F#)
** for C# press harder on 6 string ( C# whole step above B)

as far as reading the music goes its fairly simple, your guzheng most likley has 21 strings, if you start from the lowest string it follows the 12356 pattern up. there will be dots above or below the number indicating what octave to play at (the 11-15 strings are you middle octave meaning if no dots are above or below a note use these strings.)

ALSO

a 1 with two dots under it is the most bottom string, a 1 with two dots above it is the highest string

as far as symbols go on the homepage of this site is an archive of symbols and what they mean. hope this helped you get started
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: