The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

more more questions :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdobbs
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: more more questions :) Reply with quote

im hitting the part in the book where i have to bend the notes to hit higher ones and probably like a lot of people im just scared because the last couple strings i broke i couldn't fix they kept breaking and i don't want that to happen and halt my learning.
does anyone have any tips to overcome this fear Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sad
i.guzheng
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cdobbs:

Strings break and thats part of the nasty part with string instruments. We just hve to pray that it doesn't happen durng a perfomance.

Try loosing up the strings may help ease tension and breakage.
cdobbs
Plywood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you i have over come most of the fear except going from 6 to 1' going up a full two steps seems like string suicide to me just sayin

Laughing Laughing Very Happy
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I broke two strings already on my new dan tranh already after 5 minutes of playing.

It's ok la. It's part of the fun. After you get use to the tension of the strings, you'll know how to apply the force.
cdobbs
Plywood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im just scared about them breaking because ive already broken my 2 highest strings and tried to replace them a couple times and they broke i just dont want that to happen to my others im still playing without my 2 highest strings Mad Mad Crying or Very sad
davidmdahl
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on you dan tranh, Yukina. Did you get one from Vinh Bao?

If you are breaking too many strings, like on the guzheng you can shift the bridges to the right. You can also tune down the dan tranh to a lower pitch. That is pretty common.

The dan tranh sound is partly due to being just on the verge of breaking. Once you find that spot where that is happening, you can make the adjustments to back off a bit.

Best wishes,

David
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David:

Yes, I bought a Vinh Bao's. That should be arriving in a couple days. I'm very excited for it.

This one I was trying to tune is another one I just bought.
I had to go back Taiwan last week, and I managed to have a layover in Vietnam. LOL, yeah, I don't know how my travel agent was able to do that.

Any way, I had a very short dan tranh shopping on the instrument street in Saigon. There were full of toys, but I managed to pick a descent one.

I'm really having trouble with the tuning though. At first, I keep thinking do=F, and dan tranh starts with sol, la, do, re, mi..... So, I was trying to tune the lowest string into a C by managing to a friendly tension. However, as I tuned up to the higher strings, they get to unreasonably tight and I broke a couple strings.

Then I read on dantranh.com that the standard tuning is C from G3 up. Then I start tuning based on the lowest string as G3. As I go up, they are still really tight that it's impossible to tune the highest 3-4 strings.

I figured the thinnest string can go as high as a D. So I start tuning from top down based on the thinnest string as a D. In this way, the upper strings are ok, sound really nice. However, the lower strings are very loose. They are almost too loose to be playable.
I suspect I would need strings with thicker gauge on the bass part. I think there are only 2-3 different gauge of strings on the instrument.

What exactly is the standard tuning for a dan tranh?
davidmdahl
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many strings does your dan tranh have? With your answer I will check with my teacher for her suggestions.

Best wishes,

David
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has 18 strings.
I will also be receiving Vinh Bao's 17-string in a few days.
cdobbs
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice have fun with them! Very Happy Very Happy
davidmdahl
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding dan tranh tuning for your 18 stringer, my teacher wrote this:
>>
For her dan tranh, the first string should be considered as a bass string. For beginner, don't use it yet. So start from the second string which should be tuned to D or C# or C (the pitch that you usually tune your dan bau). When you play cai luong or nhac tai tu nam bo... the second string (D,C#,C) is read as Sol. When you play with other instruments ( ex: piano, guitar.. you take the fouth string (G pitch) and call it Sol. It is confusing. In short, the ideal tension of string for the 17 or 18 string dan tranh should be tuned to the pitch that I mention above. Then you can name it depend on the tune ( how is it written).
<<
Let me know if you could use clarification of any of the above.

Best wishes,

David
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David! That makes perfect sense. That was what I thought originally 1=F, so the first string being a sol should be C. Except that I was tuning the 1st string as a C instead of the 2nd string as a C.

I guess the information on dantranh.com regarding tuning a dan tranh is misleading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: