The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vcd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guzheng fan
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: vcd Reply with quote

1. Can you recommend a VCD for learning Guzheng. I am a beginner.
I have yuen sha's blue VCD. I learning something from it but the quality is not good --sound is not clear...picture is not sharp.

2. My teacher charges me 1300 US dollars for a non signature Dunhuang Duo Crane. Are there many different levels of Duo Crane and different signatures. Which one is the best?

3. Is red wood = rosewood?

4. If I buy a zitan (dunhuang), will it be not good to play with others who using Dunhuang Duo Crane in a concert? The teacher wants us to use the same kind of zheng.

5. Is dunhuang zitan good for southern music?
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1300 for a Duo Crane? That's sad....

As far as I know, there are mainly 2 kinds of Duo Crane. One is unsignatured one made with African Sandalwood frame (that looks like rosewood) and plywood backboard. The other one is signatured one made with Rosewood frame and solid paulownia backboard.
There are different signatures depends on whether you get "Dunhuang" brand or "Yun" brand. It actually dosen't matter, cause I think it this case, the difference is caused mainly by the materials used.

Generally guzhengs are made with "hong mu" frame, which people translate into "red wood", "rosewood", "maghony", etc. They are probably all correct, because there are many species of hong mu in Chinese definetion.

Dunhuangs are good for southern music in general. Zitan sounds pure and clean that's good for southern classics.

If you use a zitan among all the other students using Duo Crane, all you get are jealous eyes from all around. j/k

I like Yuan Sha's VCD tutorials. The blue one is actually not bad. All those VCDs have similar quality. I think Wang Zhongshan's tuotrials are much worse.
Yuan Sha's gray book set is also pretty good for beginner, but the sound/picture quality is not better.
guzheng fan
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: vcd presentation Reply with quote

Thanks for your information. Laughing
I think yuan sha's teaching is good too. She pointed out my mistakes.
China has a lot of good stuff and talented people but they need better presentation.
Sunny
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Good Lord !!! You paid USD1,300.00 for unsigned Duo Crane with plywood backboard !!!!!! I just could not say anything but only suggest you to keep contact with Yukina more often.
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I wish I have those tutorial VCDs back then when I started learning guzheng. I've acculmuated so many problems that could be corrected right in the beginning. My thumb joint wasn't bending when I pluck, so I was more like pushing the string than plucking the string. That's a common problem for beginners cause we tend to want the pick to be flat with the string. Then it's impossible to build up finger power. Also, my 4 always sound too sharp and 7 sounds flat, cause when I started learning, nobody tells me that you push 4 only half way you push 7, cause 3 and 4 is a half step, 6 and 7 is a whole step. Beginners tend to push 4 and 7 the same way.

My early teachers were all traditional trained that they never paid attention to my problems. It took me years to realize the problems and correct by myself. Yuan Sha is detailed in pointing out all the common problems beginners' tend to make.
kard
Plywood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, recent costumer Smile
Does Yuan Sha's VCD with the english textbook translation have any option for english subtitles?
yukina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think musicpatio.com offers the English subtitle translation.
kard
Plywood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats great Smile it looks like I'll have to wait on them to restock though. Thanks.
kard
Plywood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the new translation options. It will be a great resource. Have you heard her playing Ming Shan on youtube? Shocked great stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJxu0isbvPk
jarrelle
Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ming shan is so hard!!!! Im learning it next though!......... yuan sha's vcd is great! I used it at first without english translation and still seemed to understand her Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: